Diet and Nutrition

Health Benefits from Eating Eggs

Written by Dr. Durga Kumari and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Image: Health Benefits from Eating Eggs

Who does not know the benefits of an egg? I think everyone is familiar with this nutritious white diamond of the food group. It is a rich source of all nutrients except vitamin C (ascorbic acid). An egg of 50 g weight contains the following:

  1. Calorie - 85.
  2. Protein - 6.5 g (13 % of RDA).
  3. Fat - 6.5 g.
  4. Calcium - 30 mg.
  5. Phosphorus - 110 mg.
  6. Iron - 1.05 mg.
  7. Carotene - 210 mcg.
  8. Thiamine - 0.05 mg.
  9. Riboflavin - 0.20 mg.
  10. Niacin - 0.05 mg.
  11. Folic acid - 39.15 mg.
  12. Amino acid - 1.06 g.
  13. Vitamin B12 (in egg white) - 0.1 mg, (in egg yolk) - 2.2 mg.

How Is It Beneficial for Us?

  • Egg protein has the highest nutritive quality as compared to any dietary protein.
  • 60 % of the total protein is found in the egg white, while the remaining 40 % is found in the yolk. Fat and cholesterol carry fat-soluble nutrients like vitamin D, vitamin E, vitamin A, choline, and carotenoids in the egg yolk, which plays a significant role in the absorption of these essential and important nutrients of the egg.
  • Eating eggs can help in pregnancy, it helps in the development of the child's brain, eyes, and overall growth.
  • It reduces the risk of stroke by 12 %.
  • New research shows that adding eggs to a salad increases vitamin E absorption.
  • According to recent studies, one egg per day is good for a healthy adult. Consuming six eggs per week does not increase the risk of heart failure.
  • We should not consume more than 300 mg of cholesterol per day; an egg already contains 47 % of daily cholesterol requirement.

Nutrition experts agree that eggs are very healthy for our body, as they are a good source of high-quality proteins, which are essential for building and maintaining strong muscles.

For more information consult a nutritionist online -->

Last reviewed at: 22.Dec.2018



Do you have a question on Highly Nutritive Food or Nutrition Facts?
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Related Questions & Answers

Though the cholesterol is normal, is it necessary to take Ecosprin AV?
Query: Hi doctor, Sometimes, my father used to get chest pain. Angiography showed that he has a LAD bridging and vessels are normal and clear. His echo is normal. His BP, blood sugar and cholesterol are normal. After the chest pain, he was given the following medicines for one year. They are Stator, Is...  Read Full »
Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have noted all details of your father. A myocardial bridge means that a group of muscle fibers are present on the top of coronary artery instead of on the bottom. In almost 40% cases, it is asymptomatic. However, in some patient the bunch of muscles pushes the coronary ...  Read Full »
Is it true that dairy products are not good for us? Are the alternatives healthy?
Query: Hello doctor,Should we buy into the idea that dairy is not so great for us? Are the alternatives as healthy as we are led to believe? What about the option of just giving up milk and not trying to replace it with anything, is that a good idea? Do you have advice on choosing the best milk alternative...  Read Full »
Dr. Suneetha B S

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The idea of quitting dairy is quite controversial. There is a lot of debate on this topic. If you are giving up milk products, you might have to replace it with some other form of protein like sprouts, nuts, etc. The alternatives to milk these days are soy milk, alm...  Read Full »
Mindful Shopping of Food in Grocery Stores
Article Overview: In an era of heavy commercialization of food, a big chunk of the raw materials we use to prepare food at home, are now made in factories and sold to us through glamorous advertisements and colorful displays in grocery stores. In this article, we will examine how safe they are and which ones we should watch out for.  Read Article »
Dr. Vishal Wadi

With every passing day, we are increasingly buying readymade foodstuffs from the market, owing to the scarcity of time to cook at home. Frequently, both men and women are working shoulder to shoulder outside homes and cooking at home is taking a backseat. In such times, processed foods in grocery an ...  Read Article »

Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Related Tags