There are several benefits of walking every day, which many people are unaware of. This article highlights the importance of walking and its benefits in some medical conditions.
The topic that is very well known to everyone, which defines the power of mobility in humans to get into a healthy life with an investment of zero money. Yes, I am talking about the habit of walking that should be inculcated by everyone in their life for a better tomorrow. There are several benefits of walking every day, which many people are unaware of. It is always easy to advise anybody to walk every day, but how many of us are aware of the benefits and some unknown facts about walking? Take a look at the article to find out more.
1) Deep Vein Thrombosis - Walking lowers the development of deep vein thrombosis (DVT). While walking, the calf muscles come to play, which helps in the normal pumping of blood and venous drainage is done correctly.
2) Anxiety - Walking reduces anxiety and stress in people. As we walk, the natural painkillers (Endorphin and Enkephalin) and healers inside our body get activated through more circulation to the entire body. You try to release all your stress by focusing on walking only and sweating out every toxin.
3) Neuroplasticity - Walking helps improve the neuroplasticity in the brain, which is very essential for the growth and development of the neurons. In recent studies, it was found that neuroplasticity plays a major role in stroke patients. So in order to avoid stroke, walking more can improve the process of neuroplasticity.
4) Positivity - Walking in an open area helps improve the memory and thinking capacity of the brain increasing the number of good hormones in body. When you begin to stroll outside your home along with mother nature, you find yourself completely taken away from the regular negative thoughts and things distracting you professionally and personally. This, in turn, helps you get more positivity and find solutions for your problems.
5) Cardiovascular System - Walking lowers the occurrences of cardiovascular disease by 40 %. The normal blood circulation to heart and pumping to all other areas of the body remains normal through activities like walking. That is why patients with stroke or heart problems are advised to go for a walk every day.
6) Fat Tissue - Walking reduces fat content in the body, especially for obese people having a BMI of more than 30.
7) Metabolism - Walking improves the metabolism of the body and has effects on the digestive system as well. It helps in the churning of food faster and secretion of the enzymes in the stomach for better digestion.
8) On Musculoskeletal System - Walking has a major role to play in the functioning of our muscles and bones. Each and every joint of our body is connected to each other and if one is affected the are in danger too. Walking keeps the synovial fluid present inside the joints in normal consistency. The wear and tear of joints are minimized through walking. It helps in improving osteoporosis, as the strength of the bones is increased and prevents degenerative process. Walking prevents stiffness, sprain, and strain in joints and muscles. A decrease in uric acid level in blood and delayed onset muscle soreness can also be eradicated through regular walking.
9) Posture - Walking improves posture, as you move, you try to mobilize each part of your vertebrae making it align one on another.
10) Back Pain - Walking reduces back pain by improving posture and mobilization of the spine. It is important to follow medications if there is a severe back issue. Brisk walking short distances and rest can help maintain the curvature of the spine.
11) Lung Capacity - Walking improves the lung capacity by rectifying the breathing pattern, increasing the amount of oxygen, and increasing the vital capacity and lung volume.
12) Gynecological System - Walking also helps prevent many gynecological problems in women (of all ages), like PCOD (polycystic ovary disease), UTI (urinary tract infection), pelvic floor dysfunction, infertility, etc. As women face a lot of issues with weight management, due to which, secondary complications arise. Walking a minimum for 30 minutes daily can boost the stamina.
13) Fit Body - Toning and shaping the body is possible through walking. The lower body muscles come into action while walking, thus helps in toning the pelvic, quadriceps, hamstring, and calf muscles as well.
14) Post-Partum Body - After childbirth, it becomes quite tiresome to lose those baby fat deposits around the abdomen and hip area particularly. Spending almost the entire day with the baby, the mother’s energy is completely lost to do anything good for herself. So, walking can be the best and the most simple solution for this. So, frequently walk inside the room while carrying the baby can help metabolize the fat. When the baby is sleeping, take a walk outside for at least 20 minutes.
15) High Blood Pressure - Patients suffering from high blood pressure find that walking helps in maintaining the blood pressure at the normal level. It helps keeping the blood consistency thin and prevents frequent shoot up of blood pressure.
16) Diabetes Mellitus - Patients with borderline or high-risk sugar levels also get lifeline through walking. It helps maintain insulin level and promotes the pancreas to secrete insulin and distribute evenly all throughout the body.
Having now known about the benefits of walking, it is important to know the number of steps that you need to take and the amount of walk that is necessary. So, 30 minutes of walking should be done by everyone on average. In the case of diabetes and high blood pressure patients, minimum of 30 to 40 minutes twice daily (mostly during early morning hours and night time 2 to 3 hours before bed) is recommended. In the case of cardiac patients, once daily with a slow pace for 30 minutes is advised. For obese people, walking twice to thrice daily can be helpful for at least 20 to 30 minutes, to burn the calories. Walking can be fun if regularly practiced along with your friends or partner. Walking and talking with cover up the distance with little focus on time. It should be a part of your routine workout, so that life becomes more easy and comfortable to live with.
So, these were some of the effects and benefits of walking mentioned, and I hope this article finds some solutions to your day to day problems. Have a happy and healthy life.
Last reviewed at:
02 Mar 2020 - 4 min read
Query: Hello doctor, My head feels heavy all the time specifically backside and I have pain in the neck. If I watch TV or does computer I feel the strain in the eyes. I have taken specs as the doctor suggested. It has been 15 days. Can you tell me what is the issue? Read Full »
Query: Hi doctor, My weight is 133 kg, height is 171 cm, male, suffering from obesity problems. Kindly help me in reducing my weight. Read Full »
Article Overview: Brisk walking for 20 minutes a day is a good cardio workout. It pushes the heart muscles to work harder, which makes it stronger. Read Article
What Is Cardio Exercise? Cardio or aerobic exercise helps work your muscles repeatedly, which pushes the heart and lungs to work harder. Thus, regular cardio exercise helps strengthen the heart muscles and makes it work more efficiently. A stronger heart pumps blood more effectively, which helps in... Read Article
Most Popular Articles
Do you have a question on ?Ask a Doctor Online