What to Eat
A simple tip is to eat fruits, vegetables, and whole nuts before every meal. This makes it impossible for us to consume a large meal portion all at once. Fruits or vegetables in the form of salads, aid in digestion and help prevent constipation, thereby preventing bloating. It is most important always to eat a high-protein breakfast to help you carry out your day's activities comfortably.
What to Avoid
Avoid sugar and alcohol. Alcohol depresses the nervous system, slowing you down and potentially dragging your mood down as well. Alcohol causes you to wake up in the middle of the night while sugary products increase your appetite and cause you to consume more food.
It is advisable to avoid eating processed and sugary foods that increase your cravings for sugar and cause obesity. Set aside a day each week as your cheat day when you can eat chocolate or other junk food of your choice.
Weight-Loss Friendly Foods
- Mangoes contain lots of vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, copper as well as vitamin A, and have no cholesterol. They are also high in iron, carbohydrates, and fiber. Mangoes also help in reducing the craving for sugary foods because of its sweet taste.
- Spinach is a green leafy vegetable that has no cholesterol and is full of iron, magnesium, zinc, etc. These properties also help strengthen muscles, bone mineralization and reduce the risk of cataracts.
- Broccoli is a green vegetable that belongs to the cabbage family. It is a low-calorie vegetable that helps in digestion, detoxification, and helps the bone because of its calcium content. It is also very rich in vitamin C which is necessary for helping our immune system fight the invading pathogens.
- Almonds are seeds found in the tropical areas of the world, that are rich in protein and fiber. They can make you full quickly and are rich in vitamin E, magnesium, and protein. They can also help lower blood pressure and blood sugar.
- Blueberries boast a lot of nutrients too. A cup of blueberries contains 83 calories. They help in fighting fat by boosting your metabolism and efficiently burning calories. They also protect our bodies from damage caused by free radicals or unstable molecules that can harm the cellular structures and contribute to aging and diseases like cancer.
- Weightlifting: Muscles burn calories even when we are at rest and are physically inactive. Majority of the time, people who begin exercising to lose weight, indulge only in cardio without lifting weights. Another mistake people often make is lifting too much weight. That eventually makes them eat too much, thereby giving them a negative result. A good weightlifting routine should involve a 20 minutes cardio warmup for starters, gradually increasing it to 30 minutes with a one-hour intensive weight lifting three to four times a week. You can start lifting light weights, and progressively increase the weights as you get more used to it. Another important point about lifting weights to lose is to lift weight at a higher frequency.
- Change your workout routine: Also, try to do different workouts or change your usual routine from time to time. This has proven to help in weight loss and at the same time trying something new often will prevent you from getting bored of exercising.
- Adequate sleep: Research has shown that people who sleep less, especially at night, find it harder to lose weight. Staying awake increases your craving for sugary food or junk food. This is due to the increase in cortisol levels, a hormone that is associated with weight gain. Scientists have also discovered that sleep deprivation causes muscle loss due to decreased protein synthesis. As mentioned, muscle aids in fat loss and also prevent injury.
- Not giving up when you relapse: Try to continue with your exercise and diet even if you relapse and add some weight. Most people tend to give up the moment they seem to be piling back the weight. Most often, people get discouraged when there is an increase in their weight after they start exercising. What they do not know is that the weight of fat is the same as that of muscle. So, you might be losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously, especially if you are involved in strength training. One of the easiest ways you can achieve this is by not always checking your body weight daily. Try to check your body weight only every two to three days.
- Avoid staying indoors all day: Staying indoors means avoiding physical activity. Exercise helps keep your body in shape and spruces up your mood. According to research, exercise helps tackle the symptoms of depression and anxiety too. Regular exercise has a positive effect on the brain chemicals and mood-related hormones, and it may confer psychological benefits and boost our confidence and sex life as well.
For more tips on losing weight effectively consult a fitness expert online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fitness-expert
Last reviewed at: 22.Sep.2018
I have weight loss due to digestion issues. How to gain the weight back?
I am suffering from digestion issues, mostly bloating, from more than seven months. While taking medicines, I was feeling fine, and once I stopped them, my symptoms recurred. My present symptoms include indigestion, constipation, improper motions, low appetite, weight loss, inabilit... Read Full »
Dr. Anshul Varshney
Internal Medicine Physician
Welcome to icliniq.com.
You seem to be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
As far as your questions are concerned, the following are my answers. Just go on an empty stomach so that if required, they can do an endoscopy. All the tests can be performed on an empty stomach.
Read Full »
Why am I not able to lose weight even after dieting?
I am 35 years old and I started dieting early last year. But it seems like my weight plateaued. I have been eating a low carb diet during weekdays and on Sundays, I eat the carbs that I want to eat. I work out 3 to 4 times a week. I sometimes sleep late. I have been on this schedule f... Read Full »
Dr. Shakti Mishra
Welcome to icliniq.com.
Well, eating only low carbohydrate will not help. Follow a protein-rich, low carbohydrate, a fiber-rich diet that will fulfill the purpose. Have three small meals per day with lots of water. You can cheat sometimes with healthy junks. Exercise regularly with walk in ...
Read Full »
Mindful Shopping of Food in Grocery Stores
In an era of heavy commercialization of food, a big chunk of the raw materials we use to prepare food at home, are now made in factories and sold to us through glamorous advertisements and colorful displays in grocery stores. In this article, we will examine how safe they are and which ones we should watch out for. Read Article »
Dr. Vishal Wadi
With every passing day, we are increasingly buying readymade foodstuffs from the market, owing to the scarcity of time to cook at home. Frequently, both men and women are working shoulder to shoulder outside homes and cooking at home is taking a backseat. In such times, processed foods in grocery an ...
Read Article »