Sleep is a word that is defined differently by different people. When a human is born, the baby is said to be kept sleeping for 12-15 hours, which is essential for his growth. But, as we grow older and older, the sleep pattern changes over time, and we end up getting only 5 to 6 hours of sleep every day.
Sleep, as we say, is a state in which all our body mechanics come to a rest position. Sleep consists of REM cycle in which the person does rapid eye movement, where we can say that the individual is dreaming and is completely sleeping. This REM is very much essential to complete the sleep cycle. Recent studies have found that an adult needs a complete 7 to 9 hours of sleep per day. Nowadays, people are getting too busy in their work life that they are not getting much time for good sleep. This has become a routine part of everyone’s life, but they do not realize the consequences they have to face in the next 5 to 6 years because of such negligence.
Sleep will always remain of paramount importance for everyone, and everyone should get a minimum of 8 hours of sleep no matter how important is the work next day or how urgent you are supposed to reach your office next morning.
Find below the importance and effectiveness of sleep.
- Sleep delays the degenerative process of the musculoskeletal system and the neurological system of the body.
- Sleep allows detoxification of the body.
- Sleep improves your efficacy at work, concentration, focus on work and helps improving memory, both short-term and long-term.
- Sleep helps rejuvenate the facial skin tissue by which one can get a glowing and healthy skin and prevents premature ageing.
- Sleep helps in forgetting the bad old memories and helps build more creativity.
- The sleep-wake pattern should be maintained properly every day, as each day is counted for the duration of sleep you get.
- The study shows women who have a work-life balance that is, who maintain both professional and personal life should be getting more than 8 to 9 hours of sleep, which will improve their multitasking capacity.
- Sleep maintains the proper functioning of circulatory system of the body.
- A sports person needs sleep for around 9 hours, which helps them decrease DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) that is essential before the commencement of the next game.
- Sleep boosts the immune system of the body, which then works better against the antibodies.
- Sleep induces the natural painkillers like endorphin and encephalin inside the body, which heals any minor damaging process going inside.
- Sleep improves the working of the five senses of the body. Sleep helps you to build more thoughtful, creative and innovative ideas at work.
- Sleep is necessary for pregnant ladies both for the baby’s growth and the mother’s physiological changes.
- Sleep prevents osteoporotic changes of bones, through proper ossification and calcification of bones.
- Sleep also decreases the chance of any psychological problems.
- Sleep also reduces the occurrence of a migraine and other types of headaches.
These are some essential facts about sleep which should be followed by everyone. Every individual needs to make an effort to have a sound sleep to avoid all kinds of health problems. Remember, a person can survive if not taken food for a day but a person’s chance of survival decreases if he does not get a sound sleep for 24 hours.
To know more about the importance of sleep, consult a sleep medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sleep-medicine-physician
Last reviewed at: 12.Jan.2019
I am developing withdrawal symptoms of Paroxetine. Please help.
I am a 26 year old male, and I am a doctor. From the past year, I have been suffering from delayed onset sleep disorder, I sleep at 4 AM and wake up after noon. I saw a psychiatrist, and he put me on Melatonin, Modafinil, and Zolfresh. But I am still unable to sleep at the desired time, a... Read Full »
Dr. Awadhesh P Singh Solanki
Welcome to icliniq.com.
Thanks for this query.
I can understand your concern regarding your delayed onset insomnia. Sleep is very important for a good mental health. Sleep disturbances can cause depression and vice versa
I have read your history carefully. You are suffering from insomnia, whic...
Read Full »