Osteoporosis is a degenerative bone disorder. In this disorder, the density of bone is decreased leading to bone weakness and fractures.
What Causes Osteoporosis?
- Low levels of calcium, phosphorous and vitamin D.
- In menopausal woman, due to lack of oestrogen osteoporosis occurs.
- Among aged men due to lack of testosterone.
- Secondary to kidney failures, people who take anti-convulsants, steroids and also in individuals having hyperthyroidism and parathyroidism.
- Smoking and alcohol consumption.
Signs and Symptoms of Osteoporosis:
Osteoporosis itself has no symptoms. As the disease progresses you may notice the following signs and symptoms:
- Kyphosis - an abnormal curvature of the spine, causing “hunchback”.
- Fracture of bones even with minor trauma.
How to Diagnose Osteoporosis?
- Check for calcium and vitamin-D levels.
- BMD - Bone Mineral Density test.
- DEXA scan is done if necessary.
How to Prevent Osteoporosis?
- Regular physical exercise like walking for a minimum of 30 minutes per day.
- Sun exposure for a minimum 5 to 10 minutes daily.
- Adequate calcium intake through diet and supplements up to 1000-1200mg per day.
- Vitamin D - 800 IU per day.
- Avoid excess salt intake, which leads to increased calcium loss in urine.
- Aged people should use walking stick, western toilets to prevent fractures.
- Proper nutrient supplements should be taken if there is calcium or vitamin D deficiency.
Diet Rich in Calcium:
- Soya beans, soya milk, almonds.
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach, turnip.
- Fortified orange juice, cereals with Vitamin D.
- Sesame - daily chewing of a handful of white sesame in morning provides at least 1200 mg of natural calcium.
- Soak 10 almonds overnight in water. In the morning, peel them and blend with a cup of warm milk. and drink it.
Ayurvedic Care for Osteoporosis:
- Single herbs like shatavari, vidari, wild yam.
- Pravala pisti, kukkutanda tvak bhasma, mukta bhasma, laksha guggulu, ganda thailam, bonton granules, asthi poshak tablets (calcium supplement), etc.
- Regular body massage helps to strengthen the bones and joints.
- Eat balanced, healthy diet and do regular physical exercise to get stronger bones.
Consult an ayurveda specilaist online to know more about ayurvedic care for osteoporosis --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist
Last reviewed at: 07.Sep.2018
Can vitamin D3 deficiency cause pain in different parts of my body?
I am a 41 year old male weighing 79 kg. I have vitamin D3 deficiency for the past two years and for which I had Vitamin D3 tablets for three months. Since one year I have pain in my arms, fingers and many parts of the body. Please go through my attached test reports and advice some treatme... Read Full »
Orthopaedician And Traumatologist
Welcome to icliniq.com.
After going through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your Vitamin D level is very low, and lipid profile is minimally deranged.
I suggest you try taking the following medicines. Consult with your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her ...
Read Full »