Your little baby is now blossoming into a young girl! Ayurveda believes that giving adolescent girls the right care is similar to nurturing a tender bud so that it blossoms into a bright flower! Take special note of how her health is progressing in this transitory phase. Genetic factors, lifestyle and stress (Yes! Adolescent girls can get stressed out too) will play a role here.
Medical standards indicate that the adolescent period is from 11 to 17 years.
This includes the prepubertal stage i.e, before the beginning of menstrual cycles and the stage of menarche which is after menstruation sets in.
Here are a few things that parents of adolescent girls should know.
Take your girl child for a medical examination if the following conditions are present.
- If there is severe pain/cramps during menstruation (dysmennorhea).
- If the flow is less or if the cycles do not last for more than two days (hypomennorhea).
Abnormalities detected earlier can be easily corrected. Longer the delay, tougher the treatment.
Hormones like thyroid, estrogen, FSH (Follicle-Stimulating Hormone) and others play a very important role in women’s health.
You should take your daughter for the necessary hormonal tests:
- If your daughter is overweight or underweight.
- If there is a family history of thyroid abnormality.
- If she is suffering from increased hair fall, hirsutism (excessive facial hair).
Remember, earlier the detection easier the cure!
You should realize that she is not a kid anymore.
- So, it is important that she works out to look good and to feel good.
- A fit body improves her self-confidence, gives her the stamina to sail through her hectic schedule including studies, hobbies, socialising and much more.
- There are many options like yoga, dance, games and gym.
- The ideal exercise is not the same for all. Give her the right to choose.
- If your little girl has to persist with her exercise routine then she should be doing something she loves and not something that she feels like a punishment.
The Right Diet:
- The right diet should manage her weight- So, avoid junk food, unnecessary fat like mayonnaise and deep fried foods.
- The diet should nourish her hair and skin - Adolescence does bring in a lot of skin changes. The commonly encountered ones being pimples, pigmentation etc. Hair which was once thick and bouncy may begin to thin out. So, ensure that she consumes diet rich in vitamins and minerals. A bowl each of fruits and vegetables gives her all the necessary nutrients.
- Supplementation of essential nutrients - She needs more iron and calcium. Dates, raisins and figs are excellent natural supplements of iron and calcium. A glass of milk every day helps too.
Ayurveda for Adolescents:
- Ancient traditions if followed will have wonderful effects on your daughter’s health.
- Research studies in ayurveda have proven the efficacy of these methods. It helps improve her reproductive health too.
1) Ghee and sesame oil:
- They are excellent uterine tonics.
- One spoon each of ghee and sesame oil consumed every day will effectively manage menstrual cramps.
- They improve muscle and joint strength and are good for hair and skin.
- They are not bad for health. They contain more of high density lipids also called the good cholesterol.
- Ayurveda believes that this is a wonder drug in women’s healthcare.
- Half a teaspoon of dry roasted fenugreek powder should be part of her daily diet.
- It is a natural hormone balancer.
- It cures pimples, prevents premature greying of hair and improves fertility.
3) Oil bath:
- This is an ayurvedic home remedy.
- Latest researches in ayurveda and in other forms of holistic medicine have proved beyond doubt the benefits of oil bath.
- Practice it once in a week.
- It improves the complexion, improves stamina, tones the muscles and is anti-aging effects.
Take a Chill Pill!
I am sure they say that a lot to each other. She might even tell that to you. It helps if you tell her to chill out too, at times.
Consult an ayurveda specialist online to know more about adolescent care --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist
Last reviewed at: 07.Sep.2018