English, Arabic, Hindi, Malayalam, Urdu
Exp: 32 Yrs.
Helped 2 patients.
I graduated from medical school in India in 1978 and completed residency training in Pediatric Medicine and Neurology at the famous Institute of Child Heath & Hospital for Sick Children as well in the Institute of Neurology, Madras Medical College in 1983 & 1986, respectively. I, thus got qualified to obtain PG degree MD in pediatrics and super specialty PG degree DM in neurology. I joined the Institute of Child Health, Madras (India) as a faculty Pediatric Neurologist in 1986 and held positions as Tutor and Assistant professor of Pediatrics & Pediatric Neurology from 1986 to 1987.
From 1987 to 1991 I worked as Pediatrician and Pediatric Neurologist at King Faisal Hospital, Mecca, Saudi Arabia. I then went to United Kingdom on an International Scholar program andworked in 1992 as a Associate Fellow in Pediatric movements disordersat King’s Hospital, London under the guidance of one of the pioneers in movement disorders, Prof Marsden (Late) and also in Pediatric Muscle disordersat Hammersmith Hospital, London, United Kingdom for almost a year. In 1993 I joined Royal Hospital in Muscat, Oman, the only tertiarycare center in that country, as consultant pediatric Neurologist and set up, for the first time, a comprehensive Pediatric Neurology services including a Pediatric Epilepsy, neurodevelopmental and Movement disorders programmes. I became proficient in electrophysiological studies in Neurology namely EEG, Nerve conduction studies and visual & auditory evoked potential examinations. I am an active member of International Child Neurology Association (ICNA) as well an executive member of Asian Oceanean Child Neurology association (AOCNA) since 1998. I was trained in Botulinum toxin therapy for spastic children in Manchester, UK in 1998 as well in Pediatric muscle disorders diagnosis n Paris, France in 1999. I was elected as Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Child Health (FRCPCH) in 2001, Fellow of Royal College of Physicians (FRCP), Ireland in 2002. I was also an elected fellow of both the Indian Academy of Neurology, European Neurological Soceity and the American Academy of Neurology.
In 2009, I migrated to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and became as a consultant and head of Pediatric Neurology at King Fahad Military Hospital, Jeddah, till date.I am heading the department of child Neurology in this institute. And I am involved in training Arab Board residents with bed-side teaching as well giving lectures in neurology. I was an examiner to R2 (2nd yr) resident training and promotion programme also. I conduct a busy scheduled Neurology clinics , twice a week , wherein I do see almost 16-18 patient per clinic and apart from clinical examination appropriate neuro diagnostic tests are planned and executed. I have a senior registrar in Neurology working under me and residents are regularly posted on monthly basis for their academic training as a part of requirement for the Saudi board examinations where they are evaluated for their clinical skills. At the end of their postings they are examined with clinical case scenarios and marks are allotted for their clinical acumen. Besides I read electrophysiology recordings viz. EEG, BAER, VER for my patients for interpretation of the findings and lease with genetist as well metabolic consultants for further workup in my patients. Pediatric epilepsy is a comprehensive andhighly complicated sub-speciality in pediatric neurology wherein I have vast experience in the diagnosis and management including using video EEG monitoring, ketogenic diet protocol as well and planning for early epilepsy surgery in intractable seizures at tertiary centers. Besides with my proficiency in Botox administration for spasticity and dystonia, I do regular sessions for the eligible patients under the guidance of physiotherapy and rehabilitation
Thus, I have considerable vast clinical experience in Pediatric Neurology and Clinical Neurophysiology. My main interest is in Movement Disorders especially in Botulinum toxin therapy as well Pediatric epilepsy. I have been actively involved in the field of medical education and innovative problem-oriented integrated curricula for medical students and residents for teaching neurology. I was also an examiner for MRCP in 2007. I have travelled widely and globallyto present papers in scientific conferences of Neuroscience in UK, Australia, Japan, China, Taiwan, Czech republic and the Middle East. I have presented my research work and have published extensively in several peer reviewed journals. I am in the editorial board as associate editor in few peer reviewed Pediatric Neurology journals as well I have been a regular peer reviewer in many International Journals viz Saudi Medical Jl, Oman Medical Jl, Asian Jl of Tropical medicine.
Besides, I love music as well enjoy playing tennis. Watching movies on week ends with family used to be my passion and I love my pet dog and never fail to take him for a great walk on Sundays which he has been longing for the rest of the days. I enjoy going off road sometimes to country side , hillstations and freak out for a long walk in those exotic places.
Currently I am the chief of Pediatric neurology department here in Saudi Arabia, at King Fahad Military hospital since 2009. I am willing to take a new assignment as I aspire provided if the conditions suit my requirements as well in a challenging and demanding atmosphere is going to exist and I am willing to part this job for enthusiastic challenge to face.
1. Riaz Ahmed, Kumararaguru, Soundarajan, Viswanathan “Acute Bacterial Meningitis” - The Antiseptic- march 1980; vol 77 (3) 137-143 .
2. Riaz Ahamed, Gothandapani,Subbaiah, Soundarajan,Viswanathan “Dextrocardia with S. Inversus & postr posed aorta”-The Antiseptic- Nov 1980;vol 77(11) 1-4
3. Bappal B, Raghupathy P, Nair T, Riaz A, Desilva V, Bhuyan B, khusaiby“External Hydrocephalus in hypomagnesemia- a case report”- Achieves ofDis. Children” 1999; 81: 505-507.
4. Rajab A, Al khusaiby SM, Riaz A, Dacosta DE “ A new holoprocencepahlic syndrome with major cerebro- oro - facial malformation” Am Jl Genetics 1999; 65: 4. 1915A
5. Rajab A, Fox J, Riaz A, Paul G, Khusaiby S, Chaemers R, PattonMR“Further delineation of Door Syndrome- case study-Clinical Dysmorphology,2000; 9: (4) 247-251.
6. Riaz Ahmed S, Khusaiby S “Postpump Chorea – report of 5 cases and review of literature” Indian Journal of Practical Paediatrics 2002; 4 (178): 96-98
7. Rajab A, Mochida GH, Hill A, Ganesh V, Bodell MS, A.Riaz , Grant PE, Shugart YY, Walsh CA “A novel form of ponto cerebellar hypolasia maps to chromosome 7q 11-21” Neurology 2003; 60 (10): 1664-7.
8. Thomas V, Riaz Ahmed, Jayaram D, Khusaiby S D “Penicillamine induced myasthenia gravis”-a case report- Neurosciences 2002; (7) 8 : 293-95.
9. Roshan K, Alex C, Riaz Ahmed, Thomas V, Hashim H, Zakia – “10 yr prospective study of IVIG in Guillian Barre’ syndrome in Oman” – Jl of Child Neurology 2003; (18) 10:767-771
10. Riaz A, Dhanaraj D, Jaganathan K“Pontine Hge in ITP- a case report; Neurology India - Dec ’85. (indexed only from 1992)
11. Riaz Ahmed - Sensory seizures as ADEM presentation – a case report –Egyptian Jl Paed Neuroscience - sept 2005 issue.
12. Riaz Ahmed S, Thomas Varghese .An unusual presentation of absence seizure – a case report- Jl Paed Neurology – Vol 4;number 1, 2006.
13. A Rajab, SY Yoo, A Abdulgalil, S Katheri, R Ahmed, GH Mochida, A Bodell, J Barkovich . An autosomal recessive form of cerebral palsy with microcepahly & mental retardation – case report- American Jl of med genetics 2006 Part A; 1504-1510.
14. Riaz Ahmed. A comparative study of Vigabatrin vs ACTH in Infantlie spsms– Pak Jl of Med Science-2007-vol 23 No: 1
15. Riaz Ahmed. Colloid Cyst of third ventricle- an underestimated risk of death- case report - International Jl of Paed Neuropsychiatry, 2006; 3(2): 183-185
16. Riaz Ahmed. Transient Mutism in Cerbellar ataxia-
Egyptian Jl of Paediatric Neuro science . sep 2007
17. Riaz Ahmed. Low dose Buccal Midazolam in aborting childhood seizures – a clinical trial- Jl of Paediatric Neurology-Oct ’07 (vol .5 No.2)
18. Riaz Ahmed. Disseminated Aspergillosis causing spinal cord compression- a case study- Neurology India-Oct ‘07 (vol55)3:2883.
19. Riaz Ahmed. Brain-stem ADEM in congenital agammaglobulinaemia- a case report- Indian Jl of practical paediatrics – published Oct 2008 issue
20. Riaz A, Khusaiby S “Agenesis Corpus Callosum with myoclonic seizures”- case report- Oman Med Jl Nov 1996; vol 13 (2): 38-39.
21.Riaz Ahmed “Ataxia in children –a review article” Oman Med Jl Feb 1998; vol 14 (3): 34-35.
22. Riaz Ahmed, “Unilateral Megalencephaly & seizures - case report” - Oman Med JlNov 1999; vol 16 (2): 53-54.
23.Riaz Ahmed, “Valproate in Migraine in children from Oman”-Oman Med. Jl-May 2000; vol 16(4): 32-33.
24. Riaz Ahmed “Paroxysmal nocturnal events- Seizures or sleep terror?”-case report- Oman Med Jl – Feb 2000; vol 16 (3) 35-36.
25. Riaz A, Lekha H, Jayaram D, Khusaiby S- “Reversible central pontine myelinolysis in nephrotic syndrome”- a case report – Oman Med Jl- Feb 2002; vol 18 (3) 59-60.
26. Riaz Ahmed – “Role of EEG in Paediatric Epilepsy”-a review article- Oman Med Jl May 2002; vol 18 (4) 26-29.
27. Epilepsy and education – booklet published for school children in Oman
28. Riaz Ahmed-Lumbar puncture in febrile fits- to do or not?- Oman Medical Jl. Jan/Apr 2005; vol 20 (12) 18-19.
29. Riaz Ahmed- Seizures in children-an overview –leading article –Oman Med Jl Apr.06
30.Riaz Ahmed-Congenital central hypoventilation with renal tubular acidosis-case reportOman Med Jl April 2006
31. Riaz Ahmed- Bilateral Perisylvian syndrome- a study of 11 patients from Oman. Oman Med Jl April 2007
32. Riaz Ahmed- Rett Syndrome – study of 5 cases and review of literature- Oman Med jl; July 2008
33.Riaz Ahmed-Retrospective study of CSF in suspected meningitis – 2004 – presented in International infectious Dis. Conference in Muscat, Dec 2006- published in Oman Med Jl Nov ’07 issue
34. Riaz Ahmed - CNS Aspergellosis ina child. Oman Med Jl 2010, July (25) 3: 238-239.
35. Riaz Ahmed. Dyke Davidoff Mason syndrome –correspondence- comment on this paper- Neurosciences 2009, Vol. 14 (3): 307-307
36. Riaz Ahmed. Hot water epilepsy – A rare form of reflex epilepsy. Jl of Neurosci in rural pract, 2010, Jul-Dec; 1 (2): 99-101.
37.Riaz Ahmed- Ictal syncope – Neurologist’s perspective-a case report- Jl of paed neuroscience- Jul 2011,vol 6;issue 2: 127-129.
38. Riaz Ahmed- Wernick- like encephalopathy in a child- A reversible cause. Jl of Ped Neuro Scien 2012, vol 7; issue 2 : 146-48.
39. Riaz Ahmed- Acute PCB variant of Guillain Barre syndrome, masquerading brainstem stroke in a child. Jl ofPed Neuro, 2012; vol 10,(4)
40. Riaz Ahmed- Hypomyelinating leuko-encephalopathy in a child- a case report. published in Feb 2013 issue of SQU med Jl.vol 13; pp 192-93.
41. Riaz Ahmed S- Multidrug resistant Acenetobacter banumannii infection in post traumatic hydrocephalus. A case report. Merit Research Jl of Medicine and Medical Sciences 2013, Vol. 1 (2)pp 014-017.
42. Yar M, Riaz S, Seoud M. Mega cysterna magna- a diagnostic dilemma - submitted to Pak Med Jl- 2014.
43. Vander-Knapp syndrome – a case report – submitted to On call Paediatrics- 2014. Riaz ahmed
44. Sodium Valproate induced myopathy in a child- a case report- published SQU Medical Journal feb issue-2015- vol 15, No.1-146-47. Riaz Ahmed
45. Dexamethasone Pulse therapy for childhood epileptic encephalopathy-2017- Jl of Pediatrics and brain- submitted for review- Riaz A
46. Vitamin responsive bulbar palsy in an infant – Stanley Medical Journal Vol 3: issue 3 – 2016 Riazahmed
47. How refractory are super-refractory Status Epilepticus- Jl of Neurology & Neurosurgery – editorial – Ped on call Jl; Vol 14/issue 2- Apr-June 2017
48. How Refractory is Super-Refractory Status Epilepticus- A Personal View! – Jl of Neurology & Neurosurgery (Open): November 14, 2016; Published: January 23, 2017