Q. Why do we get forehead wrinkles with age?

Dr. Rabia
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 06, 2020

Why do men get wrinkles in their foreheads with age? Is it more lifestyle or genetic? Is it possible to tell if it is more than the other? Are men more or less likely to get forehead wrinkles compared to women? Why or why not? What can men do to prevent forehead wrinkles? Is there anything they can do to reverse them once they show up that does not require surgery? Do facial muscle exercises (i.e. face yoga) work? What surgical options to men have and when might they consider it? Are forehead wrinkles a sign of an underlying health problem or cause for concern?

Dr. Rabia

Dermatology
#

Forehead Wrinkles are signs of aging process. Men get wrinkles due to decrease formation of new collagen and destruction of already existing collagen and elastin proteins in our skin.

Wrinkles can be inherited if one gets it early but in majority people, they become prominent with aging and ultraviolet radiation has the major role to play in this. UV (ultraviolet) radiation boosts the process of collagen degradation through the formation of reactive oxygen species.

Men get more forehead wrinkles because in females estrogen has a somewhat protective role. Men are more exposed to sunlight and women have more fat layer beneath the skin that gives good contouring to the skin. Prevention of forehead wrinkles is partially possible because they are part of the normal age process. Protection from sunlight is very important in this regard.

Treatment of forehead wrinkles can be invasive or noninvasive. In non-invasive procedures HIFU, (high intensity focused ultrasound) is very famous nowadays. In this high intensity focused ultrasound waves are given to wrinkle area and it stimulates collagen formation. Invasive methods are botox injection. Surgical correction requires fillers to be inserted.

|