Q. Does using pills like Natrol 5-HTP have more benefits or risks to taking them?

Dr. Darakhshan
Does using pills like Natrol 5-HTP Mood & Stress enhancer have more benefits or risks to taking them. I have a bottle of 200mg of this product and also want to know if respiratory diseases specifically (EMS) are likely to happen and why?
# Hi dear,
Welcome to icliniq!
When taken by mouth: 5-HTP is POSSIBLY SAFEwhen taking by mouth appropriately. It has been used safely in doses up to 400 mg daily for up to one year. But some people who have taken 5-HTP have developed a condition called eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS). EMS is a serious condition involving extreme muscle tenderness (myalgia) and blood abnormalities (eosinophilia). Some people think EMS might be caused by an accidental ingredient or contaminant in some 5-HTP products. But there's not enough scientific evidence to know if EMS is caused by 5-HTP, a contaminant, or some other factor. Until more is known, 5-HTP should be used cautiously.
Other potential side effects of 5-HTP include heartburn, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, drowsiness, sexual problems, and muscle problems.

5-HTP is POSSIBLY UNSAFE when taken by mouth in large doses. Doses from 6-10 grams daily have been linked to severe stomach problems and muscle spasms.

| 

Can you recommend natural supplements to help treat depression?

Query: Hello doctor, My 17-year-old son is mildly depressed. This is not a surprise since I have been suffering with depression for 40 years. Can you recommend natural supplements that he could take to boost his mood and energy?  Read Full »

What foods to avoid in serotonin syndrome?

Query: Hello doctor,My 39-year-old son was hospitalized for five days with serotonin syndrome. He was given intravenous and Ativan. He was discharged from the hospital and he will go to his doctor regarding his meds. The problem is he was never told if he needs to stay away from certain foods that might ca...  Read Full »

20 Effective Ways to Fall Asleep Fast

Article Overview: Proper sleep is crucial for good health, as it affects your mood, weight, and hormone levels. To know things that can help you get a good night's sleep, read the article. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Sleep Medicine Physician

A good night’s sleep is very important for the normal functioning of the body. When a baby is born, it sleeps for 12 to 15 hours, but as we age, getting and staying asleep for 6 to 7 hours becomes a challenge. Recent researches suggest that people who do not get 7 to 9 hours of sleep face many...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Pharmacologist Now