Q. I have pain in the right upper quadrant of my abdomen. Kindly help.

Dr. Manisha Auradkar Raghunath Auradkar

I am 59-years-old male, and I have pain in the right upper quadrant of my abdomen. My laboratory tests shows hemoglobin of 10.6 g/dL and my SGPT is 54.1 units/L, SGOT is 43.63 units/L, FBS is 175 mg/dL.

Kindly help.

#

I can understand your concern.

Pain in the upper right quadrant is associated with different organs like the liver in hepatomegaly, gall bladder in case of stone or inflammation, and duodenal ulcers.

Identifying the exact cause by doing laboratory tests is not possible. There are high chances that the pain is associated with a gall bladder stone, but confirmation is necessary. The test results you mentioned, like an increase in SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase) and SGOT (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase) levels and increased blood sugar levels and presence of bilirubin in the urine, are suggesting a problem with liver or gall bladder.

I suggest you get examined by a physician in person, as a physical examination is equally important along with medical and personal history. Once the underlying cause is known, appropriate management will be advised by your doctor for relief.

Thanks.

|