Q. I have stomach disturbance along with pop sound in legs and knee joints. Please help.

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

I am 36 years old. I am a vegetarian. Before three years due to stomach disturbance, yellowish urine, pain and some popup and cracker sound in my legs and knee joints. I visited a doctor and he suggest me for liver function test and all reports in normal range except for sugar which was 138 mg/dL at that time, he gave some medicines and referred to an orthopedic for joint pain.

I visited an ortho specialist and he took an x-ray of both leg knees and tell that it is an early stage of osteoarthritis of knee and suggest for MRI. I had done an MRI and in the report it is mentioned that the left knee has affected with osteoarthritis. After that he give some medicines for 10 days and refers to a physiotherapist for exercise and weight loss. I have visited as he told and I reduced my weight and now there is very little pain remain in my left knee.

But now my other joints, hips joints, both hand knee has popup sound when movement including neck, jaws, all have some very mild cracking and popping sound, as there is no pain, but as it seems to be taken care of in the next few years, so I prefer to consult a specialist like ortho and gastro doctors. Still I did not found any reason behind my current health situation, still, I have yellowish urine. Kindly interpret all the reports.

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatology
#

Well I have gone through your history. I would like to ask you a few more questions to confirm the probable diagnosis.

Do you experience a lot of fatigue? Is the sleep pattern normal or is it disturbed? Any feelings of tiredness in the mornings after sleep also? Any history of recent irritability, forgetfulness? When you say stomach complaints does it mean loose stools or increased frequency of stools or constipation? Any history of weight loss?

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Most of them seem to be normal except for mild ANA positive. You are right that it all looks connected and we need to reach the diagnosis, as management gets easier then.

| 

I do not experience a lot of fatigue but one or two times a week. My sleep pattern is very good. Sometimes I feel tiredness in the mornings after sleep but no history of recent irritability or forgetfulness. I lost 3 or 4 kg of weight but as I believe it is lost due to my heavy work out in the lockdown period. I maintain my diet and give full time to exercise.

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatology
#

From the history I can gather, it is the cracking sounds in the joints and bowel and bladder disturbances. Since there is a limitation of not being able to examine you, it does seem like you have joint hypermobility. You can read up on it once and see if it fits your symptoms. Usually people with loose joints, have more wear and tear of the cartilage with the maximum impact on the knees and then these joints get more prone to injuries. Eventually, it causes pain spreading everywhere, known as chronic pain syndrome which can affect the stomach and urination.

But there are limitations in my diagnosis as it has a lot to do with clinical examination. Never the less, you can once read up on it and then we can plan your further treatment.

You should definitely include vitamin C and D in your diet as they help stabilize the joints and further wear tear.

| 

Why are my semen and urine yellow colored?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 years old. I am getting a yellow urine since last 4 to 5 months. What could be the reason and also my semen color is yellow. Can you help me with this? Is it because of masturbation?  Read Full »

What is the treatment for hard stools, belly bloating and abdominal discomfort?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had lower left side abdominal discomfort for about 48 hours. Along with this I passed hard stools in pellet form for about frequent 4-5 times a day. I also have belly bloating and gas which gets better with rest. I do not have fever, chills or severe pain. Pain is mild and not c...  Read Full »

Few of my joints are popping. How to make it go away?

Query: Hello doctor, A few months ago, I was not thinking and I hit a door with my hand and it has been a few months since then. I got tests and an MRI done on it and came back fine, just a mild motion artifact they could find, and I do not know what that means. The elbow popping will not go away and my w...  Read Full »

Ask a Rheumatologist Now