Q. Please explain the signs and symptoms of colic.

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham

Kindly tell me the following:

1. What is colic?

2. What are the signs and symptoms?

3. What are the causes?

4. What are the remedies?

With experience, kindly tell how parents can deal with colicky babies.

Do you have a question on Abdominal Discomfort or Bottle Feeding?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham

MBBS
Child Health Paediatrics

Colic is abdominal discomfort or pain mostly seen in the evening in bottle-fed babies. A consolable cry which improves with particular positioning of the infant. Most of the time, the cause is not known. Mostly associated with formula feed, improper burping practices. No exact treatment remedies are available. Positioning, proper burping, various colic drops are available in the market which might be helpful.

Also Read Answers From: Abdominal Discomfort Bottle Feeding

Until how many weeks into the pregnancy is abortion possible?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old unmarried girl. I am curious to know about the various options for abortions (medical and surgical) and up to how many days they can be done. I tried to look online but, I got several different answers. So, I thought of asking a doctor about it. Also, I want to know...  Read Full >>
Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The medical or chemical termination of pregnancy is safe and effective until 10 weeks. If it is beyond 12 weeks, surgical procedures may be required. If you take an emergency contraceptive pill within 72 hours of intercourse, there is no chance of a pregnancy. The...  Read Full

Why does my 10 months old son get loose motions frequently?
Query: Hi doctor, My 10 months old son gets loose motions very frequently from the last two months. He was also admitted one time. Again he is having loose motions. I am giving him Econorm sachet. Please suggest.  Read Full >>
Dr. Preeti Puranik
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Frequent diarrhea and infection do occur at this age, as babies put many things in their mouth, which leads to contamination and infection. Hence, you have to take utmost care regarding the hygiene. Secondly, if there is any bottle feeding, please stop it gradually, as t...  Read Full

What is the treatment for hard stools, belly bloating and abdominal discomfort?
Query: Hello doctor, I have had lower left side abdominal discomfort for about 48 hours. Along with this I passed hard stools in pellet form for about frequent 4-5 times a day. I also have belly bloating and gas which gets better with rest. I do not have fever, chills or severe pain. Pain is mild and not c...  Read Full >>
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com. From the available history it seems that you are having dehydration and because of dehydration your stools are not formed properly and you are passing small frequent hard stools. Because of your incomplete evacuation of stools you are having pain and abdominal discomfort....  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now