Q. Do I have lower back and abdominal pain with foul-smelling urine due to UTI or ectopic pregnancy?

Answered by
Dr. Deepika Joshi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 07, 2022

Hi doctor,

I wanted to know about ectopic pregnancy as I suffered from it last year. I had intercourse with my partner last month, and the condom tore so precautionary I took an I-pill the following day. I got my period on my usual date. I have done several UPT at home, but all came negative. The ultrasound report was also normal. But I am having abdominal pain and lower back pain, and the pain radiates to my leg. I am also having white discharge and foul-smelling urine. I am worried about whether it is ectopic pregnancy or UTI.



Welcome to

1. First of all, if you had your period properly and at your usual time, it is highly unlikely that you have conceived, and even your UPT (urine pregnancy test) is also negative.

2. UPT is a sensitive test that can detect pregnancy after 14 days of intercourse. It has been a month since your last intercourse, the chances of pregnancy are not there.

3. If you are still concerned about pregnancy, you can get a serum beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) test done from a good lab.

4. The pain and discharge you are experiencing could be a urinary tract infection or vaginitis.

5. You should get a routine and culture test for urine, and if there is an infection, you should take appropriate antibiotics.

6. You should drink plenty of water.

7. You can take a painkiller and a urinary alkalizer till you get your reports.

I hope this helps you.

Hello doctor,

Thank you for replying. I got my reports for routine examination and urine culture, and hCG, and I have attached them. Can you suggest any medication for pain as well?



Welcome back to

Your urine culture and examination report (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) seems fine, but the hCG report is not appropriate.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I had miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy in the last six months. Is it endometriosis?

Hi doctor, I am recently trying to get pregnant and in the past six months, have had a miscarriage and an ectopic pregnancy ... Infection can cause the embryo to get stuck in the tube (ectopic), unhealthy implementation in uterus and miscarriage and...   Read full

Will my abdominal pain after cholecystectomy throw me into SVT?

.. are most likely a classic case of post cholesystectomy syndrome which occurs roughly after two years post cholecystectomy, like your case. This can be dealt with by dietary modification like fat-restricted diet and oral ursodeoxycholic acid if the...   Read full

Having abdominal pain and bloated feeling for five months. Could this be due to colon cancer?

.. your question, most likely it is not colon cancer. The problems are due to disturbed gastrointestinal flora. Our gut consists of its own environment of a microorganism called gut flora. They are responsible for proper digestion of food. Once this...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.