Q. Do I have lower back and abdominal pain with foul-smelling urine due to UTI or ectopic pregnancy?

Dr. Deepika Joshi

I wanted to know about ectopic pregnancy as I suffered from it last year. I had intercourse with my partner last month, and the condom tore so precautionary I took an I-pill the following day. I got my period on my usual date. I have done several UPT at home, but all came negative. The ultrasound report was also normal. But I am having abdominal pain and lower back pain, and the pain radiates to my leg. I am also having white discharge and foul-smelling urine. I am worried about whether it is ectopic pregnancy or UTI.

#

1. First of all, if you had your period properly and at your usual time, it is highly unlikely that you have conceived, and even your UPT (urine pregnancy test) is also negative.

2. UPT is a sensitive test that can detect pregnancy after 14 days of intercourse. It has been a month since your last intercourse, the chances of pregnancy are not there.

3. If you are still concerned about pregnancy, you can get a serum beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) test done from a good lab.

4. The pain and discharge you are experiencing could be a urinary tract infection or vaginitis.

5. You should get a routine and culture test for urine, and if there is an infection, you should take appropriate antibiotics.

6. You should drink plenty of water.

7. You can take a painkiller and a urinary alkalizer till you get your reports.

I hope this helps you.

Thank you for replying. I got my reports for routine examination and urine culture, and hCG, and I have attached them. Can you suggest any medication for pain as well?

#

Your urine culture and examination report (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) seems fine, but the hCG report is not appropriate.

|