Q. I am concerned about my abdominal pain. Kindly help me to get some relief.

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 02, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am a 35 year old male. My height is 5'9", and weight is 220 lbs. I am a smoker and not on any medication. Over the past seven months or so, I have been experiencing on and off severe upper abdominal pain (center), and that radiates through to my back. At times, the pain may just be some discomfort, and at other time it is completely unbearable whereas I cannot sit still, lie down or do anything even to get brief relief of pain. It feels almost like a gas bubble one receives before they belch. I would try to belch and rarely will get success. When I can belch, it seems like a struggle to come out, and other times I am caught off guard and regurgitate stomach acids or bile. This issue would come on progressively from discomfort to unbearable burning or knot feeling in my upper abdomen within an hour and last 6 to 8 hours and suddenly go away. As of currently, I have had these issues from the moment I awake till I fall asleep. I can feel something wrong with a range of pain levels. I have been avoiding food for almost three days now and only consuming water. Antacids do not seem to work, and change of food does not appear to make a difference on the pain level. I am extremely concerned. My research has lead me to three possibilities such as ulcer, pancreatitis and H. pylori infection.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • Most likely it is acidity and reflux disease. You will need endoscopy to confirm the diagnosis and rule out ulcer.
  • Still, you will need one ultrasound abdomen to look for pancreas and amylase level to rule out pancreatitis.
  • You should avoid fatty, oily and high-calorie diet. Have some walk after having food instead of taking rest and have multiple small meals.
  • Have regular sleep habits and avoid stress. Eat lots of green leafy vegetables and fruits. Avoid smoking and alcohol if any. Regular exercises will help.
  • You will need prolonged antacid for your problem. I suggest you tablet Pan DSR (Pantoprazole and Domperidone) 40 mg before breakfast once a day.
  • Also, syrup Sucral O (Sucralfate) two teaspoon three times a day. For pain, I suggest antispasmodic like Dicyclomine 20 mg or Hyoscyamine 10-20 mg whenever needed basis prescribed. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I have pain in the throat during swallowing. Is this respiratory tract infection?

.. likely an upper respiratory tract infection, probably viral. You may need antibiotics like tablet Azithromycin 500 mg once a day along with some antacid like tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg before breakfast once a day for five days. Also, you can take B...   Read full

I have ulcers and stiffness in my mouth due to chewing pan. What to do?

.. and signs indicate that you have a white lesion. I need to check your cheek area and if you can send a photograph with an open mouth, focus on the cheek region so that I can precisely see and say you the current condition. It can be oral submucous...   Read full

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?

In fact, anyone who takes painkillers like Diclofenac has to take Pantoprazole to prevent Diclofenac-induced gastritis ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

7 Days COVID Care
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 Vaccines
COVID-19 vaccines can be a real lifesaver. Read this to know the answers to the common questions and doubts on COVID-19 ...  Read more»
Female Sexual Arousal Disorder: Break the Shackles and Seek Help!!
This article throws light on Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorder, a common but least discussed sexual health topic a...  Read more»
Covaxin Vs Covishield
The coronavirus vaccines, Covaxin and Covishield, have received a green signal for restricted emergency use in India. In...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.