Q. I get mild pain in upper right part of abdomen below the ribs. What could this be?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

Sometimes, I have pain but tolerable in my upper right part of the abdomen just a little below the rib part. I do not smoke and drink too. Please help.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Firstly, BP is fine for your weight. Among reports, your lipid profile is deranged and rest is fine. In that, your LDL (low density lipoprotein) or bad cholesterol is elevated. Since you are young, it is better to try trial of healthy lifestyle for a period of eight weeks and if remains deranged after eight weeks of healthy lifestyle then you need to be on medications like Atorva 10 mg bedtime for eight weeks. So you should avoid oily fried and fast food.

Avoid egg yellow and minimize consumption of meat and chicken if any. Have more of green vegetables or fruits, salads, etc. Also, have regular exercises like brisk walking or running according to the capacity. So minimize the consumption of all products which are rich in fat.

Regarding pain, it may be related to gastritis, however, one ultrasound is recommended to rule out the possibility of gall bladder stones. So it may be related to gastritis especially if you have other symptoms like bloating, burping, nausea, etc., even otherwise may be related to gastric issues. So trial of antacids is worthwhile especially if you are not able to go for an ultrasound now.

You should take antacids like Pantoprazole 40 mg or Rabeprazole 20 mg before breakfast once daily for five days. Also, you should have topical antacids like syrup Gelusil or Sucral O whenever needed. Also, antispasmodic like Dicyclomine 20 mg half tablet may be taken for symptomatic pain relief, whenever necessary. Avoid spicy hot food and carbonated drinks. You have to walk sometime after meals rather than resting immediately.

| 

Can erythematous gastritis progress to stomach cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, Four months back, I had issues of stomach bloating and frequent bowel movement. My DP did an endoscopy and found out the I had erythematous gastritis. He had prescribed medicine for one month. The issue of stomach bloating and frequent bowel movement issue got resolved. But now and then ...  Read Full »

Can antral gastritis cause hunger?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with antral gastritis, lots of acid in stomach and reflux. Problems started after I took some medicines. Since then I am always hungry. I eat more than before the problem started, but still I feel hungry. I am also suffering from excessive hair loss. Why am I always hu...  Read Full »

Can my abdominal pain after cholecystectomy throw me into SVT?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old male, 5'7", 235 lbs. I am suffering from SVT, degenerative disc L4 to S1, ulcerative colitis. Have undergone appendectomy (more than 10 years ago), tonsillectomy (more than 10 years ago), cholecystectomy (three years back). Medicines I am taking are Lopressor 50 mg t...  Read Full »