Q. I get mild pain in upper right part of abdomen below the ribs. What could this be?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

Hello doctor,

Sometimes, I have pain but tolerable in my upper right part of the abdomen just a little below the rib part. I do not smoke and drink too. Please help.



Welcome to

Firstly, BP is fine for your weight. Among reports, your lipid profile is deranged and rest is fine. In that, your LDL (low density lipoprotein) or bad cholesterol is elevated. Since you are young, it is better to try trial of healthy lifestyle for a period of eight weeks and if remains deranged after eight weeks of healthy lifestyle then you need to be on medications like Atorva 10 mg bedtime for eight weeks. So you should avoid oily fried and fast food.

Avoid egg yellow and minimize consumption of meat and chicken if any. Have more of green vegetables or fruits, salads, etc. Also, have regular exercises like brisk walking or running according to the capacity. So minimize the consumption of all products which are rich in fat.

Regarding pain, it may be related to gastritis, however, one ultrasound is recommended to rule out the possibility of gall bladder stones. So it may be related to gastritis especially if you have other symptoms like bloating, burping, nausea, etc., even otherwise may be related to gastric issues. So trial of antacids is worthwhile especially if you are not able to go for an ultrasound now.

You should take antacids like Pantoprazole 40 mg or Rabeprazole 20 mg before breakfast once daily for five days. Also, you should have topical antacids like syrup Gelusil or Sucral O whenever needed. Also, antispasmodic like Dicyclomine 20 mg half tablet may be taken for symptomatic pain relief, whenever necessary. Avoid spicy hot food and carbonated drinks. You have to walk sometime after meals rather than resting immediately.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Will surgery for gallstones relieve my abdominal and back pain?

.. seen all the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). With complaints of severe to moderate upper abdominal pain and vomiting and elevated liver enzyme levels, ultrasound findings of stones in the gallbladder, fatty ch...   Read full

Does erythematous gastritis result in stomach cancer issues in future?

.. is simply inflammation of stomach that can occur due to excessive stress, faulty lifestyle, alcohol, and painkiller abuse. Now following are your answers: It is not serious. You just need treatment for long duration. Unlikely to result in cancer....   Read full

Will my abdominal pain after cholecystectomy throw me into SVT?

.. are most likely a classic case of post cholesystectomy syndrome which occurs roughly after two years post cholecystectomy, like your case. This can be dealt with by dietary modification like fat-restricted diet and oral ursodeoxycholic acid if the...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
Nighttime Skin Routine for Clear Skin
A skin that gets all the attention during the day requires a chance to repair, rejuvenate and replenish from day damage ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.