Q. I get mild pain in upper right part of abdomen below the ribs. What could this be?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

Sometimes, I have pain but tolerable in my upper right part of the abdomen just a little below the rib part. I do not smoke and drink too. Please help.

#

Firstly, BP is fine for your weight. Among reports, your lipid profile is deranged and rest is fine. In that, your LDL (low density lipoprotein) or bad cholesterol is elevated. Since you are young, it is better to try trial of healthy lifestyle for a period of eight weeks and if remains deranged after eight weeks of healthy lifestyle then you need to be on medications like Atorva 10 mg bedtime for eight weeks. So you should avoid oily fried and fast food.

Avoid egg yellow and minimize consumption of meat and chicken if any. Have more of green vegetables or fruits, salads, etc. Also, have regular exercises like brisk walking or running according to the capacity. So minimize the consumption of all products which are rich in fat.

Regarding pain, it may be related to gastritis, however, one ultrasound is recommended to rule out the possibility of gall bladder stones. So it may be related to gastritis especially if you have other symptoms like bloating, burping, nausea, etc., even otherwise may be related to gastric issues. So trial of antacids is worthwhile especially if you are not able to go for an ultrasound now.

You should take antacids like Pantoprazole 40 mg or Rabeprazole 20 mg before breakfast once daily for five days. Also, you should have topical antacids like syrup Gelusil or Sucral O whenever needed. Also, antispasmodic like Dicyclomine 20 mg half tablet may be taken for symptomatic pain relief, whenever necessary. Avoid spicy hot food and carbonated drinks. You have to walk sometime after meals rather than resting immediately.

|