Q. I have abdominal and low back pain with nausea and pain while eating and breathing. Please help.

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma
and medically reviewed by Dr.P.C.Pavithra Pattu

I am a 15-year-old female. My height is 5 feet 4 inches, and my weight is 185 pounds. I am currently on Fluoxetine, Famotidine, and iron supplements. I am experiencing upper abdominal pain, lower back pain, pain while eating, nausea, and pain while deep breathing since I woke up yesterday. It is hurting me while I eat, sleep, and move. I am not able to sleep due to this. Please help.

#

I understand your concern and will help you regarding it. Iron supplements are known to cause various gastrointestinal side effects like nausea, diarrhea, constipation, stomach cramps, and dark stools. Few iron supplements are more difficult on the stomach than others. Which iron supplement are you taking? As you already have a previous history of gastrointestinal issues, I suggest choosing your iron supplements carefully. Drink plenty of fluids and eat enough fruits, vegetables, and fiber regularly. Take your iron supplement with some food, preferably orange juice or lime water (vitamin C accentuates iron absorption), rather than an empty stomach. I would also like you to share your CBC (complete blood count) report mentioning your hemoglobin levels, as excess iron can cause toxicity. So you should know when to stop. Fluoxetine is unlikely to cause the symptoms you are experiencing. I hope this will help, please take care, and I hope to hear back from you soon.

|