Q. My 6-year-old son complains of abdominal pain immediately after having breakfast. Why?

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 30, 2020

My 6-year-old son always complains of abdominal pains especially immediately after he takes breakfast. Today he has the same abdominal pain and joint pains, cold palms, and feet. He has this problem for the past one year.

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgery Paediatrics
#

If your son is getting pain after eating, it suggests he might be having gastric irritation which in turn causes few conditions.

It could be:

1. Infection - can be cured by antibiotics.

2. Inflammation - needs only antacid medications.

3. Pancreatitis - inflammation of pancreas.

Also, know that 6-year-old can sometimes pretend to have abdominal pain if they do not like what they are eating or if they have unmet demands (could be anything).

Does he gets fever as well, before or after pain? Does he vomit after eating? Is his weight increasing appropriately? Did he have any issues immediately after his birth for which he had to be in the hospital for longer than usual? (If yes, please attach the discharge summary with this reply).

Meanwhile, you can give him tablet Junior Lanzol by dissolving one tablet in a glass of water and making him drink the entire glass at least 30 minutes before he eats his breakfast. Please do not forget to follow up, irrespective of the medication being effective or not.

|