Q. There is prominent column of Bertin in kidney with abdominal pain. Why?

Dr. Tarek Algamal

I have abdominal pain, USG shows prominent column of Bertin noted at left kidney.

Do you have a question on Abdominal Pain or Renal Mass?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Tarek Algamal

MASTER DEGREE MSC., NEPHROLOGY SPECIALIST., NEPHROLOGY SPECIALIST
Nephrology

I want to reassure you that this finding is not significant and most likely not related to your abdominal pain. Further assessment including detailed history and proper examination should be done to diagnose the possible reason.

Prominent column of Bertin noted, what does it mean? Do I need some medicine for that?

Dr. Tarek Algamal

Nephrology

It is a structure in the kidney which is normally present. Being prominent is not serious at all and you do not need treatment for it. It is just mentioned because sometimes it is mistaken as a renal mass. So the radiologist should mention it not to be mistaken by other doctors.

Also Read Answers From: Abdominal Pain Renal Mass

My father is diagnosed with RCC. Kindly tell me it is benign or malignant?
Query: Hello doctor, My father, aged 70 years, lost five kg of weight in two to three months. Usg and CECT confirms a right renal mid-lower polar well defined large 11.3*10.6*12.0 cm soft tissue density homogeneously enhancing mass with internal regions of non-enhancement is observed with no obvious calci...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the report, it is renal cell carcinoma (RCC) and it requires further evaluation. In the treatment of RCC, first of all, surgery is needed to remove the tumor and if required the kidney too. Then after confirming the diagnosis on histopathology, chemotherapy, o...  Read Full

I have abdominal pain and diarrhea thrice a day. What is wrong?
Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from abdominal pain and diarrhea three to four times a day for the last four months. I have gone through colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy followed by a biopsy. As per the biopsy, it is a mild non-specific inflammation. So, my doctor did several tests like fecal calprotect...  Read Full >>
Dr. Aastha Midha Likhyani
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest the following: Tablet Ondem MD (Ondansetron) 4 mg twice a day, for a month. Tablet Rablet L (a combination of Rabeprazole and levosulpiride) twice a day, for a month. ORS (oral rehydrating solution) up to two or three liters a day, for a month. Tablet Oflox ...  Read Full

I have abdominal pain with watery stool. Why?
Query: Hello doctor, I have the following symptoms. Abdominal pain, starting from yesterday night. Had instant noodle and two eggs for the meal last night. At first, it was severe pain and strange sound in the intestine and could not poop. And then I had diarrhea and poop water. Hardly slept last night du...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is likely a food poisoning. Most importantly, have ORS 100 to 200 ml with each stool and keep yourself rehydrated. Drink as much as possible. You should have tablet Pan D (Pantoprazole and Domperidone) before breakfast once a day for 3 to 4 days. You should get pr...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now