Q. I was bleeding for 10 days after a medical abortion. Is it normal?

Dr. Garima Sawhney
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 30, 2022

I had a medical abortion ten days ago. I had bleeding until yesterday, which was brown in color. So, I took a USG today, which showed the endometrium thickness to be 12 mm. Is this normal? Is D&C really required in my case? Is there any other treatment option?

#

There is no need to undergo a D&C (dilation and curettage) if there are no retained products seen in the USG (ultrasound sonography), and symptomatically there is no bleeding or spotting.

Thanks a lot. I feel relieved after seeing your reply. Is it normal for the bleeding to stop within ten days of an abortion? What is your opinion about the thickness of the endometrium?

#

If all the contents are out, then the bleeding will stop in ten days, and this is absolutely normal. Do not worry about the thickness.

|