Q. Why does my husband feel uneasy after having spicy vegetables and pulses?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My husband cannot eat spicy vegetables or pulses, and he feels very uncomfortable after eating.

#

The history provided looks like you have an acid peptic disease, which is nothing but a sore in the stomach. However, I need more information and clarity on the below questions related to the symptoms. Since when are you experiencing this? Is it only with food, or do you experience discomfort for liquids as well? Is it more during the night and wakes you up with a bitter taste in mouth? Do you smoke or take alcohol? Has there been a change in your weight recently? We can connect further over video consultation for better advice on treatment. In the meantime, start tablet Omeprazole sustain release twice daily (morning and night) for seven days and avoid spicy food. Also, avoid excess tea or coffee. We can discuss further over video consultation. Take care.

Thank you so much for your reply.

It is happening for the last six months. It happens when I take food at night. I quit smoking long back. I do not drink alcohol and no such change in weight. One more thing is I feel a burning sensation on my tongue.

#

Perfect, my initial suspect is right, I think. Mostly we are dealing with the acid peptic disease. Soreness in your mouth is primarily due to the regurgitation of acid from the stomach into the tongue's backside. It should settle with the below treatment. Start tablet Omeprazole sustains release twice daily (morning and night) for seven days and then once daily for another two weeks. Ensure you give a gap of at least 90 min from dinner to sleep. Also, a little head up (along with trunk) position with pillows below will undoubtedly help. Avoid excess tea or coffee, and avoid spicy food as of now. Always include curds in food as much as possible. All of these should help. Take care.

|