Q. I feel a hard lump in my lower abdomen when I lay down flat on my back. Please help.

Dr. Sugreev Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am a 40-year-old female who is 5.4 feet tall and weighs about 180 lbs. I get my periods regularly and have no constipation. I feel a hard lump in my lower abdomen when I lay down flat on my back. I do not think about it when I lay on my side. I have massive bloating and discomfort in the abdomen. I get mild pain, not often. The stomach is distended. The lump can be pushed around. The lower abdomen below the belly button in the middle, I had the bloating for years. The stomach is sore to touch. I feel hungry at night; the food helps the discomfort a bit. I was given Rabeprazole, and Pantoprazole did help at first but stopped working. I am on Venlafaxine and Bisoprolol.

#

Thank you for writing in, and I understand your concern.

• Can you please send me the picture of the lump?
  • It is present in the lower abdomen to the right or left?
  • Irregular periods can be due to polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD).
  • The best way to examine is you should do USG. It will help to find out the lump and if there is PCOD.
  • Does the lump move to the side when you touch?
  • Is it a soft or a hard lump?

Please send a picture of it and answer so I can help accordingly.

Thank you for your reply.

In the ultrasound, it did not show any lump. The lump is hard moves when I squeeze it. It is in the center of my lower abdomen. It is not visible; I can only feel it when I press down on my lower abdomen. My period is regular.

#

If it is not causing any pain and not increasing in size, this can be due to infection or cyst. Sometimes there can be abnormal tissue collection is seen. Since when do you have it? Is it gradually increasing in size? Could you send me your ultrasound reports? I want to check and let you know. Irregular periods can be fixed with oral contraceptives because they are mostly caused by ovarian cyst only. How irregular do you get it? Since when do you have irregular periods? Do you have to get heavy bleeding or normal?

Please let me know.

Thank you for your reply.

My period is fine. My ultrasound reports show gas. I do not have the report. I have no pain, the size is the same, and the lump disappears and reappears.

#

Then first, we need to treat your acidity.

As you mentioned, Rabeprazole and Pantoprazole are not helping, then please take tablet Omeprazole 40 mg once a day before meal.

1) Eat food in small portions; do not eat at once.

2) Do not go to bed right after eating; at least eat four hours before you go to bed.

3) Go for a short walk after eating.

4) If the lump is increasing or painful, please consult the surgeon, and he will remove it.

If anything else, please let me know.

| 

What to do for breast lumps with sensitivity in the nipple and vaginal itching?

Query: Hello doctor, I have two problems. One is with my breasts. I have lumps in my breasts, and the nipples curve inward sometimes. They are sensitive to touch. I need to know if this could be breast cancer or just a growth. My other problem is my vagina. I have been having problems for over a month. I ...  Read Full »

Why is my stomach bloated after laparoscopy?

Query: Hi doctor,Five days ago, I had a laparoscopy. I am wondering when the bloated hard tummy will go away. I am worried that it has not subsided yet. Is this normal?  Read Full »

I have acidity and indigestion problem. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old male, who weighs 62 kg. My stomach is swollen, and it feels as if it is filled with gas. I also have low appetite, acidity, and indigestion. I used to chew tobacco from a long time, but I quit it recently. I am an occasional drinker, and I am fond of spicy foods. I am...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»