Q. What could be wrong if a person has acidity and gas problems with any food?

Dr. Sultan Zeb Khan

I am a 24-year-old female, and I have gas and acidity problems. Anything I eat causes a lot of gas. It worsens when I travel, it becomes hard to pass the stools, and when it does, it smells awful even if I eat or do not eat something. Kindly suggest.

#

Keep a food diary to look out for the culprit food. I hope you are not chewing gums frequently, which can cause swallowing of air and gas; talking while eating can also cause that. Have your dinner early, so there must be a difference of three to four hours between your dinner and going to bed. Avoid caffeine, tea, coffee, soft drinks, alcohol, and chocolates. Go for a little walk for 30 minutes after meals. I suggest you take a tablet of Omeprazole 40 mg before breakfast daily and Simethicone syrup (a mixture of silica gel and Dimethicone) thrice before meals. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and take medications with their consent.

|