Q. Is it advisable to use a brace for ACL fracture and play rugby?

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

I am an 18-year-old medical student and I enjoy playing rugby at a high level. I have already ruptured my ACL twice on my left leg (twice reconstruction surgery) and I am now very sure I have ruptured my right ACL as well. Would it be possible for me to carry on playing rugby in the near future when I regain strength in my right leg and the swelling subsides, if I use a brace or strap it up when I train and play?

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapy
#

I have read your concern. It will not be comfortable for you to play with an ACL brace if you have grade 3 ACL tear as twisting and turning will not be quick and comfortable to the level game demands. If you have kind of grade 2 then you can strengthen and then have a support and play (again depends on the level of involvement of the fibers, more than 50 % then you should consider surgical reconstruction option as you will always be at risk of progressing it to complete tear. In either case, start your rehabilitation exercises. Can use brace while training. There is a risk of loading certain areas of the joint leading to early bony erosion. It may not be a very good idea.

|