I have low-grade fever and warmness in my knee following an anterior cruciate ligament repair. Why could this be?

Q. What could be the reason for low-grade fever and warmness in my knee following an anterior cruciate ligament repair?

Dr. Anuj Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 03, 2023 and last reviewed on: Dec 07, 2023

I underwent an anterior cruciate ligament (quad graft and meniscus) repair seven days ago. The surgery was performed under an epidural and went smoothly. Of course, the pain 24 hours post-operation was unbearable, but is getting better and I can already put 33 to 40 lbs weight on the operated knee. I have had a low-grade fever every night since the fourth day. I do not have any fever during the day, but from 7 or 8 pm, my temperature is around 37.8 to 38 degrees. My knee feels a little bit warm around the incision and on the swelling but I think that can be because I wear a brace and a special sock. I went to see my surgeon today, he said my incisions were fine. There was no redness, the swelling looks normal and he was not worried about the low-grade fever. I have the feeling I get those two symptoms (low-grade fever and a warm knee) after a long day. I feel quite tired and drained in the evening as I have to use so much more energy to compensate. What is your opinion? Do you think I should ask for a second opinion and get an appointment with a different surgeon?

#

I understand your concern.

Thanks for the detailed description of your problem. I encounter similar issues very frequently in my practice. I do not consider 38 degrees as a fever. According to the literature, it is common to have this body temperature after surgery. In order to reduce my anxiety, I get a few blood tests which include complete blood count (CBC), erythrocyte sediment rate (ESR), and C-reactive protein (CRP). These are also deranged after surgery but I get them every alternate day three times and I get to know the trend. If total leukocyte count (TLC), or CRP has a falling trend, then I am worried. Now in your case, did you have any recent blood tests after surgery? Could you please send me a picture of your knee? Also, send me your X-rays. Do you have any complaints of a burning sensation while micturition? I can help you better after getting a picture of the area.

I hope this information will help you. Please revert in case of more queries.

Thank you for your reply.

I did not have a blood test after the surgery. I will ask my General practitioner for a blood test. I do not have any X-rays unfortunately. I do not have any burning sensation whilst urinating. However, I have noticed that I have to drink twice the amount of water than I normally do, in order to keep the color clear. I do not drink the required amount of water per day generally, but I feel like I have to now after the surgery to keep it healthy. I have attached a few pictures of my knee.

#

I have reviewed the pictures (attachments removed to protect patient privacy). The amount of swelling is normal after one week of surgery. It does not look alarming. You can go for blood tests. If you are doubtful about your urine, you can also give a sample of urine for routine tests and microscopy.

|