Acl Surgery

Can I bend my knee after an ACL surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had ACL surgery with a graft from my hamstring and a meniscus repair seven weeks ago. I went to my physiotherapist, and she asked me to face down on the bed and bend my knee. I did what I could, and then she started pushing on my ankle, at which point I was in excruciating pain and sta...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is unusual in two aspects. Forcible manipulation like this is not recommended. If needed, this should be done by a doctor with an anesthetic. Secondly, the knee should never undergo such manipulation as there should have been some range to begin. Did the knee swell...  Read Full »

How long does it take to walk normally after ACL and meniscus surgery?

Query: Hi doctor,I have done ACL and meniscus surgery on my right knee a month back. My doctor advised me to avoid removing my knee braces for two weeks. After two weeks, I removed my braces completely and started walking. Now I started doing few exercises on my own. Still, I am not having steady walking a...  Read Full »

Dr. Nischith

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have undergone ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) and meniscus repair a month back. You need to have graded exercise therapy before having a normal walk. Your ACL ligament reconstructed site should not be at abnormal stress for the initial 12 weeks and so your doc...  Read Full »

How long can ACL surgery be postponded?

Query: Hello doctor, This is a request to analyze my MRI report. I would expect detailed guidance with what kind of treatment we have to proceed? What is the prescription for the condition and how long to use the prescribed medication? Please reply with the prescription as soon as possible. Please let me...  Read Full »

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. I have gone through the report you have attached. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You need urgent immobilization of knee by cast or slab along with painkiller, and anti-inflammatory drugs. The next step is an arthroscop...  Read Full »

I have a swelling after my ACL reconstruction surgery. What is the management?

Query: Hello doctor,I had the ACL reconstruction surgery of my right knee before five years. At the same time, the medial meniscus was completely repaired and lateral meniscus partially repaired. After some time doctor opened my bandage and the knee was healed nicely. I had been advised to do some physical...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly were you running fever three weeks post-surgery? Secondly, your first ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-reactive protein) were raised, but within my comfort zone as post-surgery, they will usually be built up to six weeks to three months. The se...  Read Full »

When can I walk and run normally after ACL reconstruction surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 25. I have gone through ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair surgery on left leg almost three months before. Now, on post-op rehabilitation. The doctor has suggested me to walk slowly. Currently, doing squats and weight exercises. I just wanted to know still how much time it wi...  Read Full »

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your concern. In my opinion, it will take another 6 to 8 weeks for you to start running. I hope you got your movement range completely in your joint. Now, do your rehabilitation and weight training properly as advised. You can start walking normally. The pain ...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have swelling in knee after four months of ACL meniscus surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an ACL meniscus repair surgery four months ago. I still have some swelling in my knee and still feel weakness in my leg. Is that normal? Can I run now? What to do?  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The knee swelling can even persist till six months after surgery, the more physiotherapy you do and the earlier you achieve full range of movements of the knee, the better it is and faster the swelling will reduce. Weakness can be overcome by physiotherapy again to s...  Read Full »

What will happen if I am not able to exercise for two months after ACL surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21 years old and had ACL surgery six months ago in my left knee but I am not able to exercise for the previous two months. What will be the consequences?  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, it takes 1 to 2 months for recovery from surgery and 3 to 4 months for muscles to regain their usual strength after ACL surgery. Since you cannot exercise it means that your muscles have not reached their optimal strength till now. Arthrofibrosis is a common co...  Read Full »