Q. I had ACL surgery 7 weeks ago. Why do I have excruciating pain during physiotherapy?

Dr. Atul Prakash
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana

To give you some backstory i had acl surgery via a graft from my hamstring and a meniscus repair 7 weeks ago. I went to my physiotherapist and she asked me to face down on the bed and bend my knee. I did what i could and then she started really pushing on my ankle at which point i was in excruciating pain and started crying, she kept going and did this another 2 times. The whole time i was crying and she kept going. I was just wondering is this the course of treatment and should it have hurt that much or did she go too far?

#

Hello, This is unusual in two aspects Forcible manipulation like this is not recommended and of this needs to be done then this should be done by the doctor with an anaesthetic. Secondly the knee should never need this sort of manipulation as the range should have been there to start with Now did the knee swell up when the physio manipulated the knee and did you hear any obvious sound. Finally check with your surgeon about this and normally deep knee bends are not allowed to 6 weeks after a meniscal repair but following this ROM is a allowed but this is gradual and not forcible and sudden.

|