Q. I had ACL surgery 7 weeks ago. Why do I have excruciating pain during physiotherapy?

Dr. Atul Prakash
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2021

I had ACL surgery with a graft from my hamstring and a meniscus repair seven weeks ago. I went to my physiotherapist, and she asked me to face down on the bed and bend my knee. I did what I could, and then she started pushing on my ankle, at which point I was in excruciating pain and started crying. She kept going and did this another two times. The whole time I was crying, and she kept going. Is this the course of treatment, and should it have hurt that much, or did she go too far?

#

This is unusual in two aspects. Forcible manipulation like this is not recommended. If needed, this should be done by a doctor with an anesthetic. Secondly, the knee should never undergo such manipulation as there should have been some range to begin. Did the knee swell up when the physiotherapist manipulated it? Did you hear any obvious sound? Finally, check with your surgeon about this, and normally, deep knee bends are not allowed for six weeks after a meniscal repair, but following this range of motion, exercises are allowed. This is gradual and not forcible.

|