Q. Which treatment works best for pus-filled acne on the cheek, chin, and forehead?

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

I have acne on my cheeks, chin, and forehead. My acne looks like pus-filled tiny bumps.

Please help.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.I went through your query and understood your concern.

Acne vulgaris, also called acne, is usually caused due to multiple factors, including genetic susceptibility, wherein a similar condition runs within one's family and gets transmitted genetically. Due to changes in the hormonal levels, there is a possibility of hormonal variations, which can result in increased sebum secretion within the skin, which promotes acne due to bacterial contamination, which is present within one's skin. The other causes of acne include the use of any skincare products and underlying medical conditions like PCOD (a polycystic ovarian disorder) which is very common among young females and requires an in-person consultation with a gynecologist in order to rule out PCOD. PCOD may also be associated with other symptoms like menstrual irregularities, unwanted facial hair growth, hair loss, etc which may or may not be present. Acne may also be triggered by dietary factors, climate conditions, stress and due to skin type. So, I suggest you follow the instructions mentioned below,

1. Take a capsule of Doxycycline (tetracycline antibiotic) 100 milligrams twice daily in the morning and at night for ten days after food. This is an antibiotic that is needed for reducing pus-filled and inflamed acne. Make sure there is no previous history of antibiotic allergies before consuming this capsule.

2. Take a tablet of Pantoprazole (antacid) 40 milligrams twice daily 30 minutes before food in the morning and night to prevent acidity due to antibiotics for ten days.

3. Use any good foaming face wash in the morning and night. Apply a sufficient quantity and massage in gentle circular motions for one minute and wash off. Continue usage for months.

4. Use Peroclin (Benzoyl peroxide and Clindamycin) 2.5 % gel in the morning on the acne spots only after using the face wash till the acne clears.

5. Use a good retinoid gel at night on the acne spots in a very small quantity on the acne spots only and continue usage for 12 to 16 weeks.

6. Take a multivitamin capsule once daily after dinner for two months.

7. Take a chewable tablet of Vitamin C that can be eaten after breakfast for two months for fast healing of acne. Do not consume extremely hot food and extremely hot drinks and milk during the consumption of this medication as they may cause abdominal discomfort to some individuals

8. Glycolic acid chemical peel procedures may also be considered for faster reduction of acne and regularization of sebum secretion. In this procedure, a solution will be applied to your facial skin and left for five to ten minutes before washing off. They are usually done every ten days for at least six sessions and require an in-person consultation with a dermatologist to undergo the procedure at their clinic.

9. Avoid oily and fried food, sweets, red meat, milk, and dairy products.

10. Consume more fruits, and vegetables, and drink at least ten glasses of water per day.

Kindly consult a specialist, talk with them, and take medicines with their consent.

I hope this has helped you.

Thanks and regards.

Thank you for your reply.

Can you please tell me the alternatives of budget-friendly facewash and gels which give the same effect? Also, can you please tell me which budget-friendly sunscreen should I use for oily skin?

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.I went through your query and understood your concern.

I suggest you the following:

1. Use Aclind BP (Benzoyl peroxide and Clindamycin) 2.5 % gel instead of Peroclin 2.5% gel.

2. Use a good sunscreen gel with SPF (sun protection factor) 50 for acne-prone skin. However, sunscreens are not advised during active acne due to the chance of triggering more acne due to clogging of pores considering the consistency of sunscreens. So, my advice would be to resume using sunscreens after the acne has cleared.

I hope this has helped you.

Thanks and regards.

|