Q. I have acne breakout and scars on forehead. What has to be done?

Dr. Shanza Ikram
Published on Jun 22, 2018

I had a really bad acne breakout and scars and it was just on my forehead two months back. Then I just had another one about two weeks ago, on my forehead again.

It is not mostly just dark acne scars and I want to get rid of them. My skin also turned from combination to dry on my entire face.

My forehead is a little bit itchy sometimes and so are my eyelids.

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Dermatology
#

I have been through your case. Well, acne is common in your age. Drink plenty of water and juices. Avoid fast food and chocolates. Even then you may have frequent relapses which are precipitated by stress, periods, and cosmetics.

For daily routine healthy skin, do the following:

1. Apply Clindamycin gel two times a day on these lesions.
  2. Avoid eyelid treatment like mascara, eyeshadows as much as you can.
  3. Use Neutrogena anti-acne fash wash.
  4. For dryness, apply simply vaseline lotion (as there are two types of lotions water based or oil based).
  5. Vaseline is water based. If you used oil based lotion it may aggravate your acne-like lesions. Even this lotion you should apply first on your palms and then gently tap on your dry face. Do not apply too much.
  6. Use gel shampoo because sometimes dandruff can also cause dryness over eyelids.

First, use only this. If still, your dryness would not go away then we need to go on steroids, not now.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

This is how currently my face looks like. As you can see just my forehead. It is all flaky and dry and itchy.

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Dermatology
#

Please apply Hydrocortisone cream in very little amount (about the size of a pea) two times a day on the forehead on red areas only for three days. Remember do not use more than three days.

It is a very less potent steroid and will help to heal your dryness, scaling, and redness. Do not use more than this. After three days start my previously prescribed treatment.

Now your dark spots. Well, we are not going to treat them right now as long as you are having active acne and redness because any treatment for reducing it will promote redness.

So be patient. Acne takes long.

Can I get my acne scars permanently cured without any medication?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20-year-old boy with a face full of acne scars. I have it for the last two years. I have tried many home remedies but did not consult a doctor. They got cured to some extent in the last two to three months or so but have now started reappearing. I want a permanent cure wit...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Nowadays, acne is considered physiological and a natural phenomenon rather pathological. Around 95% of the world population would have acne at some point in life.  Getting into your case, you are 20 years old, it is the active age of acne. It starts a...  Read Full

Adult Acne: A Common Problem

Article Overview: Adult acne is more common nowadays with changes in lifestyle and the use of various cosmetic products. The treatment of adult acne is a challenge for many dermatologists and is also frustrating for the patients. Understanding the cause of adult acne helps establish a better strategy for the prevention and treatment of adult acne. Read Article

Dr. Sreelakshmi S

Acne is very common in the teenage group. But, when we have acne as an adult, it is very frustrating. The Acne treatment which worked in adolescent age can be useless or even worsen the condition. Many people wonder 'do adults get acne?'. Yes, adults can get acne. Some continue to get acne in their ...  Read Article

Acne - Causes, Types, Home Remedies and Treatment Strategy

Article Overview: Acne is a very common condition encountered among teens and adults. To decide the protocol for the treatment of acne, it is important for us to know the causes, conditions associated, sites of acne, the cause of acne and factors affecting the onset of acne. Many home remedies are helpful in treating acne. Mild and moderate acne can be treated with medication and severe acne with other treatment procedures. Prevention is more important than cure. Read Article

Dr. Archana

Acne is a very common skin condition. It commonly starts during puberty but can occur at any age. Although it is not a dangerous condition, acne can leave scars on the skin. Acne appears in different parts of the body like face, chest, and back. Acne affects almost all teenagers in different severit...  Read Article