Q. What should I do to stop breakouts?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 08, 2021

During this pandemic, my skin condition has worsened, and I had many breakouts, especially on my cheeks and chin. I used Vitamin C for six months. I had a sensitivity while I started using Vitamin C. I thought it was my skin purging since it was my first time using Vitamin C, and it lasted for about three weeks before it disappeared. I stopped it a month ago because I felt that was also the cause of my breakouts. I saw online that active ingredients might also contribute to breakouts while wearing a mask. What should I do to stop breakouts? And also, is it safe to use chemical exfoliants such as AHA or BHA on my oily, sensitive skin?

Thank you so much.

#

I saw the query and understand your concern. But, first, you need to consult a dermatologist nearby to assess the grade and severity of acne.

If acne is mild then, topical anti-acne creams like Clindamycin, Adapalene will help.

If acne is severe, oral medicines like tablet Azithromycin or capsule Doxycycline with or without Isotretinoin are started along with anti-acne creams.

As a general treatment measure, I would suggest:

1) Use a face wash for oily skin like Ahaglow or Cetaphil as a cleanser to wash your face.

2) Apply Clindamycin gel in the morning and Adapalene gel at night over the acne lesions.

3) If having blackheads or whiteheads, get these removed.

4) Face masks do increase frictional acne, so try to use cotton fabrics hand-made mask.

5) Avoid squeezing pimples as they will leave marks.

Follow these above measures for two weeks to see how much response you get. If the acne is of mild grade then, it will respond. But if it is of severe grade then, you will require oral medication. I hope this helps.

Take care.

|