Q. Why does my acne leave dark spots on my cheek?

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul

I am a 26-year-old female. I have been experiencing some purging for a few months as I started with Retinol, but last month it did not get better, so I stopped Retinol and started Salicylic acid. Now, suddenly, I am getting acne only on my cheek areas. İt does not look like an allergy, but my acne leaves really dark spots. Please let me know how to get rid of it and the marks.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. It is grade-2 acne which is inflammatory pustular acne with hyperpigmentation marks. I will suggest you some medications. Please use them and get back to me after 15 days.

1. Nadifloxacin 2 % cream twice daily for 15 days on your inflammatory or red pimples.

2. Tablet Doxycycline 100 mg once a day after food for 14 days. Avoid sunlight as Doxycycline is a photo-sensitive drug.

3. Wash face with D'Acne face wash twice a day for 15 days.

4. Apply photostable sunscreen daily from 9 AM to 3 PM for two months.

5. Apply Cetaphil moisturizing cream in the morning and noon 30 minutes before sunscreen.

I suggest you avoid scratching and rubbing of lesions, popping or pricking pimples as it may cause secondary bacterial infection and cause deep permanent scars. Also, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation marks will treat after active acne treatment.

Thank you for your response.

I will follow all the medications you have suggested me to use. Also, should I stop using Salicylic acid or keep it as my night time skincare routine?

#

I suggest you stop it as D'Acne face wash is an alternative.

|