Q. What is the diagnosis and treatment of discomfort in the ear and throat?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

My left ear feels heavy, and my throat is hard to swallow. It started a week ago. I have no fever and no congestion. What are the diagnosis and solutions? Currently, I am taking Propranolol and Amitriptyline.

#

It could either be due to an infective or inflammatory cause in the throat which may also have involved the ear, or it could be a referred pain or discomfort with the cause being only in the throat. Since you have difficulty swallowing, there might be some pharyngitis.

Please answer the following questions to know more.

1. How is your hearing?

2. Is there a sense of blockage of the ear?

3. Is there any popping sounds?

4. How long does this discomfort last?

5. Does it come in bouts?

Thank you for the reply.

My throat on left side has been tight for a week, and my ear now seems heavy. A fullness kind of sensation is also felt in the left ear.

#

It could be pharyngitis with secondary secretory otitis media. Have you taken any antihistamines and analgesics? Can you attach a picture of your throat? I suggest antihistamines like Montelukast plus Levocetirizine and analgesics for pain relief and decongestant nasal drops like Xylometazoline 0.1 % drops if ear fullness persists.

|