Q. After oral sex, I developed rash and lymph node swelling. Could this be ARS?

Dr. Sushma Shah
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2019

I gave oral sex to a man, whose HIV status was unknown, six weeks ago. I have now rash under both armpits and a swollen lymph node in my neck. I am attaching pictures of the rash and the lymph node. Could this be ARS?

#

I saw the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Oral sex has the least possibility of ARS (acute retroviral syndrome). I do not think you have ARS. Do you have dandruff or an earache or a toothache? Do you have a history of a cold or a cough?
  • If the rashes appeared after six weeks of oral sex, then get CMIA fourth generation test done. It can be HSV (herpes simplex virus) or any other sexually transmitted disease. I suggest you consult a skin specialist or a  venereologist. The other possibilities are more rather than HIV infection.
  • At present, for the rash, I suggest you try the following:
  1. Tablet Atarax (Hydroxyzine) 25 mg, one at night for 10 days.
  2. Ointment Betnesol-N (Neomycin and Betamethasone), locally two or three times a day.
  3. Fluconazole powder, to sprinkle over ointment.
  • For the enlarged lymph node, I suggest you try taking the following:
  1. Tablet Amoxiclav (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg, two times a day after lunch and dinner for five to seven days.
  2. Tablet Signoflam (Aceclofenac, Paracetamol, and Serratiopeptidase), two times a day after lunch and dinner for three to five days.

If with treatment, the lymph node swelling goes down, then it is not HIV infection.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

|