Q. After oral sex, I developed rash and lymph node swelling. Could this be ARS?

Dr. Sushma Shah
Published on Jul 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2019

I gave oral sex to a man, whose HIV status was unknown, six weeks ago. I have now rash under both armpits and a swollen lymph node in my neck. I am attaching pictures of the rash and the lymph node. Could this be ARS?

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

I saw the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Oral sex has the least possibility of ARS (acute retroviral syndrome). I do not think you have ARS. Do you have dandruff or an earache or a toothache? Do you have a history of a cold or a cough?
  • If the rashes appeared after six weeks of oral sex, then get CMIA fourth generation test done. It can be HSV (herpes simplex virus) or any other sexually transmitted disease. I suggest you consult a skin specialist or a  venereologist. The other possibilities are more rather than HIV infection.
  • At present, for the rash, I suggest you try the following:
  1. Tablet Atarax (Hydroxyzine) 25 mg, one at night for 10 days.
  2. Ointment Betnesol-N (Neomycin and Betamethasone), locally two or three times a day.
  3. Fluconazole powder, to sprinkle over ointment.
  • For the enlarged lymph node, I suggest you try taking the following:
  1. Tablet Amoxiclav (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg, two times a day after lunch and dinner for five to seven days.
  2. Tablet Signoflam (Aceclofenac, Paracetamol, and Serratiopeptidase), two times a day after lunch and dinner for three to five days.

If with treatment, the lymph node swelling goes down, then it is not HIV infection.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

HIV test was negative, but I am still worried. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, After 15 months of unprotected sex, I went for HIV test called Comb AIDS test but, the result came back negative for both HIV-1 and 2. Again after three months, I redid the test, but even this time, the result was negative. I was not satisfied, so I went for ELISA tes...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The test kits used to diagnose HIV are highly sensitive and specific and gives accurate results. The majority of the people who are infected with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) develop antibodies by three months, and even in the rare instances of late seroconversion...  Read Full

HIV1 RNA test is negative. Can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?

Query: Hi doctor,I had sex with massage girl a month back with a condom. But I am not sure about condom break. I had HIV1 RNA test 21 days late. It came negative. So do I need to take another test or can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you need to go for fourth generation ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay). For more information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist  Read Full

Are my symptoms indicative of HIV infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having hot breaths, and my eyes feel hot. I have acidity problems. All these problems started after I had sexual intercourse. Is it an indication of HIV? Should I get a western blot test now?  Read Full >>

Dr. Murali R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hot breaths and acidity problems are non-specific symptoms and are not related to HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection. The risk factors for HIV infection is having sex with unknown partners, whose HIV status is not known, or through blood transmission. If you ha...  Read Full

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now