Adenoid Surgery

Is it good to do surgery or wait till 3 years for the problem of adenoid?

Query: Sir, My son is 22 months old. He has problem of adenoid. We have recognised it from his 6 months of age and started giving medicines. But whenever he gets cold or fever it is very difficult for him to take breathe. He used to breath through his mouth and always open his mouth while sleeping. We have...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: hi, welcome to this forum. Can understand your concerns point If child has respiratory distress during sleep, or if the symptoms of cold and cough are increasing as the child is growing, then immediate surgery is required. the adenoids continue to enlarge till 5 year of age and after that they sta...  Read Full »

Please give your valuable opinion on my child's hearing problem.

Query: Please have a look on her hearing test Report and give your suggestion. Please find the Patient details. Her Adenoids and Tonsils were removed. Due to Enlarged Adenoids she got infection in her middle ear and she was not hearing clearly. Then her middle ear was cleaned and the tube was inserted. Ag...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! The reason why she is still not hearing properly is probably due to remnant adenoids which could have been left behind and would have umdergone compensatory hypertrophy causing the same problem for which surgery has been done. I would recommed her to use metatop nasal sprays 2 puffs in each nos...  Read Full »

Can a child travel by air after adenoidectomy?

Query: Hello doctor, My 17 months old daughter booked in for grommets and adenoidectomy due to fluid in middle ear and recurrent ear infections. We are flying two weeks after the procedure. We will be visiting a place with bad air pollution. Will she be more at risk of respiratory infection with no adenoi...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. At a place with bad air pollution, one's respiratory mucosa tends to get excoriated and irritated due to the harmful contents in the air. This can make the area supple and raw and more prone to bacteria and viruses in the surroundings. Having removed adenoids does n...  Read Full »

How to treat my son who is breathing through mouth and not nose?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is eight years old. From birth to till now, my son is taking Penicillin for the ear and throat infections. He cannot breathe through the nose. He uses mouth for breathing for years. What can I do now? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You son is suffering from upper airway obstruction. It causes him to breathe through the mouth. It could be a result of allergies or inflammation of adenoids behind the nose. It can be cured by steroid sprays. It is just a part of the treatment. If there is some other f...  Read Full »

My voice always sounds blocked. Should I get my adenoids removed?

Query: Hello doctor, Since a long time now, my voice sounds blocked all the time, even when I do not have the flu. Recently, I visited the doctor, and he told me that I need to take my adenoids out after three months. But, I was wondering whether there is a 100 % chance that my voice will sound perfectly n...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Nasal voice can occur due to an adenoid enlargement. Adenoids are protective in kids, and they should regress in size by the age of 10 to 13. However, in your case, they are still big causing a blockage of the nose while you talk, breathe, etc. In addition to causing ...  Read Full »

How to make a 14 months old baby start eating after adenoid surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient's adenoids were removed before five days. He was taken to the recovery room and was so cranky. His breathing was funny, so he was put on oxygen. In about 45 minutes he was able to breathe on his own, he coughs and get a lot. We bought grape juice, ice cream, and milk. He is m...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please feed him breastmilk. Encourage him to suck, and the feed needs to be started after about 4 hours of the procedure. Also, to relieve the pain give him painkiller syrup say about 5 mL of Paracetamol (125 mg per 5 mL) given thrice or four times will alleviate the ...  Read Full »