Q. Do I have ADHD if it is hard for me to complete a task after starting it?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

I am a general practitioner doctor, and I want to know if I have ADHD. I want to start anything and finish it because I never finish it every time I start something. This problem has been with me ever since I can remember.

I do not want to label myself, but I want to know what is happening. Kindly help.

#

Your brief description mentions the inability to complete a task which is just one of the several features of ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). You may have some relatively common traits of ADHD. We need more information about the constellation of symptoms pertaining to ADHD and also your developmental history to clarify whether you reach the diagnostic threshold for ADHD. Even if you have ADHD traits I suspect it will be on the milder side as you appear to be functioning well. You have obtained a medical degree that demands long periods of attention, concentration, and planning. However, if ADHD symptoms make you struggle and is affecting your personal life, you may consider a full assessment. Moderate to severe ADHD may need medication to help you function better and achieve your full potential. There are quite a few doctors with ADHD diagnosed later in life!

You are welcome to contact me again if further advice is needed.

|