Q. I would like to try ayurveda for ADHD. Please help.

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2020

My son was diagnosed with ADHD before a year and subsequently he was given Vyvanse 20 mg. He has continued to take this medication until this year with a dosage increase from 20 mg to 30 mg. He is 8 years old and weighs about 70 lbs. I would like to get him off this medication and try an ayurvedic approach. Last one year, when he has been on Vyvanse, he has not gained any weight and frequently lacks appetite. Currently, he is on summer break and not on this medication. He will be homeschooled from this year onwards.

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

Ayurveda Specialist Dietician Nutritionist Yoga
#

Rather than just mentioning as ADHD (attention deficit hyperactive disorder), I would request you mention the dominant symptoms you have noted in him.

Also, mention about his bowel movements, sleeping and food habits.

Revert back with a detailed history to an ayurveda specialist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

| 

He seems to suffer from a lack of concentration more than hyperactivity, which presents a lesser degree. He is easily distracted and will take a long time to complete a task unless it has something to do with his Lego set or video game. He needs to be reminded many times to finish what he was doing. Same thing with eating and always leaving the table before he is done. He eats normally and does not have any problems with food as he is off the medication. Also, he sleeps well. Sometimes, he suffers from constipation.

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

#

I would like to suggest Brahmi ghrita 1 teaspoon before food with warm milk at night.

Do regular head massage with Brahmi taila or apply little Brahmi taila daily on his crown.

Do regular body oil massage with sesame oil. Make sure to include milk, ghee, almonds in his diet.

Put him for meditation and pranayama classes. Do all this for a month and revert back.

I do not want to comment on Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine). You need to consult his pediatrician about it.

Revert back after a month to an ayurveda specialist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

| 

Yes, I would like to try this with him. However, the meditation and pranayama classes may not be possible owing to where we live.

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

#

• Try learning meditation through online and then teach him or try residential class for a week.

For further information consult an ayurveda specialist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

|