Q. My situations are making me curious to know about ADHD and OCD. Please help.

Dr. Vandana Patidar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Aug 17, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2019

I do not have any official diagnoses, but I am curious to know more about ADHD or ADD and OCD. Recently I was about to sit down to eat breakfast when I got sidetracked and started something else. One thing lead to another and next thing I know it is 45 minutes later, I have half of my room torn apart due to not finishing everything I had started, and I still had not touched my breakfast. I have had more of these types of situations recently, and it makes me frustrated and a little worried. I thought about going to see a doctor about it, but I was hoping for an opinion. Currently, I am not under any medications.

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sleep Medicine
#

Start with one thing on another, and we may behave strangely. But it does not mean that you have some psychiatric diagnosis. The difference between abnormality and normality lies on a spectrum in psychiatry. Some criteria to define if a particular thing needs the attention of a psychiatrist.

1) Persistent in nature.

2) Disturb your day to day routine.

3) Functional impairment.

4) Disturbance of bio functions like sleep, appetite, etc.

If all these things are not there, then I would not advise you to consult a doctor. If this last for some time, then contact a psychiatrist.

Can my OCD get cured with lower dose of medicine?

Query: Hi doctor, I have brain lesion in the left temporal lobe size 0.9 mm as found in brain MRI. I had seizure twice two years ago. I am also suffering from OCD. Fluoxetine 40 mg has been very effective in treating OCD, but caused memory problem, speech problem and lack of concentration. When can I lower...  Read Full >>

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) you have to take medications. Less than 40 mg Fluoxetine will not be effective. So, continue the same dose. Chances of relapse are very high in OCD cases. As you are having it for six years it is better to continue the medication...  Read Full

Suffering from OCD. Please help me if I can take Prozak and what will be the dosage?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) since I was a child, and I did not know that I have this type of sickness until I read about it on internet. And now I am 27 years old. I need to ask you whether I can take a medicine by myself (Prozak or alternative). My symptoms...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting a query at icliniq. First of all I would like to inform you that OCD like symptoms occur in various disorders other than OCD itself. And the management of different disorders varies according to etiology. Regarding your question about self treatment, I would suggest against...  Read Full

I have OCD with an intense fear of sleep. How can I make peace with falling asleep?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with OCD. My OCD comes in the form of intense fear of sleep for the past five years, but it has gotten worse within the past couple of months. I am afraid the moment sleep comes, I fight this feeling until I am exhausted. How can I make peace with falling asleep a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I will start with the pharmacological part. You can discuss with your treating doctor regarding increasing the dose of Clomipramine, not only will it help with sleep but also in decreasing the obsessions. You can also discuss regarding substituting it with Fluvoxamin...  Read Full