Adolescent Psychology

Is my son missing his classes and assignments a personality issue?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is a college student. He is 21 now. He has depression from about three years and has been seeing a psychiatrist for a while. He has been missing assignments and classes and got put on probation and withdrawal. And, he lies a lot. For instance, he signed a waiver to his college ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rathod Rahul Narayanrao

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Depression is now common in 2 % of the children and adolescents. Its cause is not specific, but a combination of multiple factors such as environmental, biological and psychological. Firstly, we have to look for any specific underlying causes for his depression. A...  Read Full »

I am a 19-year-old introvert, and I like a girl that I cannot talk to. Please help.

Query: Hello, I am a 19-year-old boy, and I have a very difficult question. I like a girl of the same age, and I feel like she likes me too, but we do not communicate with each other much as we are in different schools. Also, considering that my family's economic status is not as good as hers, we do not k...  Read Full »

Dr. Ruhi Satija

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concern. Sometimes life is not the way we want it to be. But that does not mean that you have to be stuck. I suggest you work on yourself, find activities that excite you and do more things that you enjoy so that you feel good about y...  Read Full »

How to be motivated to achieve our goal?

Query: Hi doctor, I decided to change myself because I was a bad student. I struggle with getting things done. I plan to do stuff things beforehand. At first, I was able to do things and I felt excited while doing it. But when the time comes to do the tasks that I planned, I lack the motivation to do thin...  Read Full »

Dr. Ruhi Satija

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I congratulate you on your effort. Motivation is a tricky thing but can be learned. There are two types of motivation such as extrinsic and intrinsic motivation. Extrinsic motivation is when we are motivated to do something because of external influences. We try to do t...  Read Full »

What are the causes of self-doubts and lack of self-confidence, and how to get rid of it?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a lot of self-doubts and feel like I am being watched. I am scared to move into the city and also fear boys. I always feel insecure that someone might find fault in my acts while listening to class with a strength of 200. I have low self-esteem and self-confidence.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, Thanks for raising this query. The problem you described affects about 5% of the general population, and most of them never know whether any help is available. Many of them do not admit and confide it to others. You were thinking of what others to think ab...  Read Full »

How to handle the ego of an 18 year old girl?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a teacher and I do not live with my husband. When I left my country my childern were 7.5, 6 and 2.5 years old. Now in the new place, they are 19.5, 18 and 14.5 years old. My daughter, who is 18 years old, is wild. She is doing her first year college. My daughter got involved with a...  Read Full »

Dr. K. V. Anand

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your daughter is 18 years and that means she is in her late adolescent period where these people do believe that they are matured enough to handle everything and are capable to take decision according to the circumstances. They believe so, but in actuality they are not ma...  Read Full »

Is this normal to have a night fall problem at the age of 15?

Query: Hello,My 15 year old son has nightfall once a month and the quantity is very less, may be three to four drops. Is this normal at this age? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Sharma

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Having a nightfall is normal. At this age, adoloscents often engage in masturbation which could have caused it. But even if this is true, you should not be worried as there is no defined frequency or semen quantity, especially during adolescent years. I hope this ans...  Read Full »

I am a teenager and I feel my parents hate me. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 14-year-old female. I always have this moment where I am complained and scolded. This always happens with my parents and I always feel bad and it always makes me think "Do they hate me? Am I not good enough for them? Am I a maid for them? " I also ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your parents need family therapy from a psychologist. If you cannot do this then accept it. If you cannot change the situation then change yourself. You can make good friends, develop good hobbies like painting, reading books, learn music and dance, lea...  Read Full »

I often end up saying things which I do not mean to. How do I avoid this?

Query: Hi doctor, I often end up saying things which I do not want to, especially with my friends, Later it takes a toll on me. I am fine with the regrets, but I am not able to learn from my regrets. Each time, I decide not to say certain things before I meet or speak to my friend, but eventually, end up s...  Read Full »

Dr. Lisa Barros Mascarenhas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand how you feel about it. Firstly, you should focus on changing how you react. So, on those lines, firstly my advice to you is to keep a book to pen down your thoughts daily, especially when you say something you regret. Make three columns with a)Your reactio...  Read Full »