Age-related Change

Why am I unable to walk steadily?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 76 years old. For the past two years, I am unable to walk steadily. I do not have vertigo. While sitting down, I do not have any problem. Within seconds after standing up, I feel my legs become heavy and difficult to walk. If I try to veer sideways abruptly, I feel like I am going t...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and explain that your symptoms could be related to brain atrophy or small vessel disease of the brain. I do not think that you have Parkinson's disease like your brother, so I do not think Syndopa (Levodopa and Carbidopa) will help you. Anyw...  Read Full »

I feel weak and rotating sensation of head with low BP. Is this neurological problem?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 76 years old. All my routine checks are normal except that my BP remains low many times 100/60. I feel weak, and my head is felt like rotating. Is it related to some neuro problems? Kindly advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Prakashkumar P Bhatt

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms of low BP (blood pressure) and rotating sensation of the head can be related to a neurological problem. I need answers to the following questions. Do you have constipation or loose motion? Any slowness in walking and movements? Have you checked your diab...  Read Full »

Can you please interpret my mother's MRI findings?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother has been suffering from acute back pain and leg pain for the past one year. She is unable to stand or walk for a long time. She is 73 years old. Also, she has type 2 diabetes and high BP. Her MRI revealed a diffuse bulge of L4-L5 disc with ligamentum flavum hypertrophy causing ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The following is a radiological report (MRI) of her intervertebral disc status. The above statement means that the disc has herniated from its normal confined limits and is pressing on the nerves leading to pain in the area of distribution of nerves, which in this case...  Read Full »

Is it normal for an 82-year-old to have a pulse rate of 54?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 82-year-old man and noticed that my pulse was 54 late a couple of nights ago. I recorded it yesterday throughout the beginning with 8 am and ending at 10:15 pm. The pulse was 58, 60, 80, 78, 69, and 54. The 80 was after hiking 2.5 miles. I am concerned about the low of 54. I a...  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for reaching out to us. I understand your concern about your health. Please do not be worried as it is nothing. It is perfectly normal to have a slightly low pulse as you age. It is a physiological change that occurs with aging perhaps 54 beats per minute ca...  Read Full »

How does senile purpura look in elderly persons?

Query: Hi doctor, My grandmother has purple spots on her legs and arms. It looks like senile purpura, but I cannot be sure. The one on her leg is much larger and seems to spread a little over the course of a few days. The one on the arm is small. She is taking calcium and vitamin D for her osteoporosis a...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement your grandmother have been suffering from purple spots on leg and arm with osteoporosis. When small blood vessels are ruptured causing blood to pool under the skin and can create purple spots on the skin ar...  Read Full »

Are males more prone to forhead wrinkles than females?

Query: Hello doctor, Why do men get wrinkles in their foreheads with age? Is it more lifestyle or genetic? Is it possible to tell if it is more than the other? Are men more or less likely to get forehead wrinkles compared to women? Why or why not? What can men do to prevent forehead wrinkles? Is there an...  Read Full »

Dr. Rabia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Forehead Wrinkles are signs of aging process. Men get wrinkles due to decrease formation of new collagen and destruction of already existing collagen and elastin proteins in our skin. Wrinkles can be inherited if one gets it early but in majority people, they become...  Read Full »

Do acid toning help in skin care?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know how does our skin change through the decades? How our skin changes in our 20s, 30s, 40s, and beyond? Also, looking for tips on how to care for our skin. What products we should be used for certain problems? When should we start acid-toning? How about retinol produ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rabia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Our skin undergoes aging process continuously. There are two types of aging going on in an individual. Intrinsic aging that is inherited (in our genes) and the other is extrinsic aging (that is due to environmental factors most importantly the sunlight). With aging, th...  Read Full »

Why do older adults get cramps in the calf muscles?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a former marathon runner for about 40 years. With age and bad knees, I am restricted to walk now, but I try to walk at least four days a week for 15 minutes. Recently, when I walk for about half a mile, I am getting cramps in my right calf muscles. I am fine on the exercise bike ...  Read Full »

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. I am really proud to talk to a marathon runner. I understand that walking or running is one of the most important part of your life, but with age out joints get weaker, there is a deposition of fluid in between joint spaces, cartilage...  Read Full »

What are the physical changes that come with aging?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is around 60 years but she looks older than her age. The skin of her face and body is shrinking very fast. And, she feels sleepy whenever she sits up for a long period of ten minutes or more. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. At her age, cellular aging can speed up depending on her overall health. If she has any underlying chronic disease or if she has a deficiency of essential minerals and micronutrients, all these can speed up the aging process. However at her age, fatigue or excessive tired...  Read Full »

How to find the reason for my mother-in-law's waist pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother-in-law is having difficulty in walking, climbing stairs and sitting. She is having pain in her waist for the last one month. She feels tired and helpless. She always wants to sleep. On some occasions, she becomes unconscious without any reason. When we checked her blood pressure...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sudden episodes of loss of consciousness and sleepiness sounds like a medical problem. We know that her blood sugar is normal, so are her other blood results (attachment removed to protect patient identity). She is in her early 50s. She is currently taking treatmen...  Read Full »