Alcohol Drinking

What test should I undergo to rule out liver cirrhosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am very concerned about my liver. I have a history of alcohol use of approximately two to four beers per night, approximately five nights per week for nearly 20 years. I am under total abstinence for the past one year. My symptoms are aching pain in the back on the right side under...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Given the amount of alcohol that you are taking and the duration you have taken, it is likely that you can develop cirrhosis. But the development of cirrhosis is a gradual process, and it takes a long time before it is evident on the tests. Fibroscan is a useful modali...  Read Full »

Is red vomit after having red vine something serious?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 26 years old female. The day before yesterday night I drank alcohol for the first time. I had whiskey and my last drink was one glass of red wine. After coming back around half an hour later I felt sick and I puked. Now my worry is my vomit was red colored like there were not red s...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The red vomit is likely due to red wine only. Alcohol causes gastritis and vomiting, and you likely vomited red wine out. I guess you did not have abdominal pain. The bloody vomitus is brown in color rather than red. Was the color of vomitus matching with wine, if ye...  Read Full »

Why do my face and eyes become red after alcohol intake?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some infection in my liver, which I got to know through LFT test. Also, I have been drinking alcohol since three to four years, but never encountered this problem. But now, I have developed alcohol intolerance. Even if I consume one peg now my face and eye reddens, and my heart...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). First, the liver function tests are not much abnormal and dos not seem to happen due to alcohol intake. However, your weight may be the cause of that much deranged liver function tests. Ove...  Read Full »

Is Naltima 50 mg used in the treatment of alcohol addiction?

Query: My relative is addicted to alcohol. Its not that he/she is consuming it regularly, but intends to do so. i intend to make him/her leave it. Can i give him/her Naltima 50 mg dissolved in juice and for how many days in order to make him quit it completely. he has been drinking for the past 8-10 year...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: thank you for taking help from a paychiatrist. I can understand your concern about your relative. But I am sorry to say that there is no medication which can help the patient to quit alcohol without patient involvement. when the person itself ready to quit alcohol then and only medication will help ...  Read Full »

I consume a lot of alcohol and I want to overcome this. What should be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old married female. I have been suffering from anger and anxiety issues since last one year. I also did online counseling which benefitted me a lot. Now my anger and anxiety are under control. But during the time when my problem was at its peak, I developed a liking f...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashanth

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query and appreciate you for realizing the problem and being motivated to quit. Counseling will help you along with the following. Relaxation exercise. When the temptation is at peak, drink juice or water full stomach. Divert your mind to other act...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for body weakness in an alcohol addict?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an alcohol addict since 2018. Without alcohol, I shiver and cannot be normal until I got hospitalized. Presently, I am very weak and need support (lathi) to walk. My urine is brown. I need an opinion.  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, the report of chest x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows that you have fluid or water over both sides of the lungs. If this weakness is new and not chronic, I am afraid you have some active infection or maybe a viral infection like COVID...  Read Full »

What should I take to reduce my acid reflux problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 53-year-old male. I have been experiencing panics especially when I do not feel better like having acid reflux. Now the gastrointestinal issue becomes regular. The only means to stop it is by drinking alcohol during night time and I feel better and get a good sleep. Please advi...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you to take once a day pill for controlling your acid reflux. Capsule Esomeprazole 40 mg half an hour before meals. You can take it in the morning time before breakfast or before dinner if you have predominant night symptoms. This acid suppressant will cont...  Read Full »

What can cause red hives to appear on the body after drinking alcohol?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a male aged 24 years with an overall healthy history. However, I have noticed in the recent past, a bunch of red hives on (swollen red coloured ,not-painful) different parts of the body (knees, legs, cheek, arms) appearing after drinking beer or wine. This happened now twice in ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello. I welcome you to icliniq. I am sorry but the picture you uploaded seems little bit taken far away, not giving me full description of what it is. Yes you should get your liver function tests this will help us to detect any subtle damage to the liver. In chronic drinkers small blood vessel en...  Read Full »

How concerning is increased GGT levels with hepatocellular parenchymal disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 47 years old with a history of alcohol abuse. My ALT is 50 and normal AST. Ultrasound reading said Hyperechoic liver may represent fatty infiltration or hepatocellular parenchymal disease. Is this severe? Would fibrosis be noted in the report?  Read Full »

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgeon, Medical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome toicliniq.com. To identify fibrosis you need to get a fibroscan (transient elastography). How are your other blood reports? Are you symptomatic now? Please send across details so that further discussion can be done.  Read Full »

Will chronic alcoholism cause increased serum creatinine and kidney damage?

Query: Hello doctor, My serum creatinine is 1.17 and I am taking blood pressure and diabetes tablets. Do I need to worry about my kidneys as I drink alcohol on a daily basis?  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Reviewing your presentation and details of your test attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). History of hypertension and diabetes are important factors for chronic kidney disease which if not properly controlled can affect your kidney function in the...  Read Full »