Alcohol Drinking

Could stage 4 fibrosis indicate a serious liver disease?

Query: Hi doctor, Please explain these results. I have a median ARFI of 2.17 m/sec, IQR of 0.28, and IQR median of 0.13, and METAVIR at stage 4.   Read Full »

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is basically a fibroscan result of a liver and it measures the severity of stiffness in the liver caused by a particular disease. The result shows F4 fibrosis and it is an advanced stage of stiffness. If it is not controlled properly, then it will lead to cirrhosis a...  Read Full »

Does alcohol consumption affect my daily workout?

Query: Hi doctor, Please explain the effects of alcohol on fitness goals. Does hangover affect my workouts? If it affects my workout, then what kind of alcohol can be taken that does not affect my workouts. Please explain them in detail the reason for the hangover and its effects on my workout routine in ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Any beverage having with more alcohol content attains a concentration of more than fifty percent in the body and when taken in a prolonged period, it affects the key organs. It may not affect fitness directly but it affects by causing damage t...  Read Full »

How to stop the habit of drinking alcohol and bring my elevated parameters normal?

Query: I recently got some medical tests done and quite a few of the parameters are outside normal range. I am concerned about my liver status and need your advice. Please find below a brief of my lifestyle: 1. I am a male, 37 years age 2. I drink three times a week 3. I smoke regularly 4. My body weig...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi. Welcome to Icliniq. See my answer is going to be harsh but I'll speak truth. Your all reports that I have evaluated are because of Alcohol consumption. Whatever be your profession, you need to decide what you want... Profession or life. At such young age, taking so many medications and such ...  Read Full »

May I know whether cirrhosis of liver become worse by continuous drinking of alcohol?

Query: During Covid i drank excessively. And was a regular drinker before. I had a bleeding episode before 5 months. My alt was 130 and i had an untra sound that was suspicious for early stage chirrosis. Now i haven't drank in 5 months. All my numbers are normal. Alt 30's i did have an endoscope that sho...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello welcome you to icliniq. Actually once cirrhosis is developed l, it is irreversible in nature. Meaning avoiding alcohol would prevent disease from progressing but never reset the cirrhosis back to normal liver tissue. Any further intake of alcohol however, would worsen the cirrhosis and thats...  Read Full »

What are the main causes of erectile dysfunction?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28-year-old male. I have symptoms of ED for the past one week. I am currently on Probiotics, Vitamin D, and Metamucil. Kindly help with my problem.  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, at the age of 28, erectile dysfunction is due to psychological causes, mainly stress in most cases. Other less likely causes are secondary to chronic illnesses such as diabetes, hypertension, etc. Rarely it is related to pelvic surgery or trauma. In some situ...  Read Full »

What test should I undergo to rule out liver cirrhosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am very concerned about my liver. I have a history of alcohol use of approximately two to four beers per night, approximately five nights per week for nearly 20 years. I am under total abstinence for the past one year. My symptoms are aching pain in the back on the right side under...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Given the amount of alcohol that you are taking and the duration you have taken, it is likely that you can develop cirrhosis. But the development of cirrhosis is a gradual process, and it takes a long time before it is evident on the tests. Fibroscan is a useful modali...  Read Full »

Is red vomit after having red vine something serious?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 26 years old female. The day before yesterday night I drank alcohol for the first time. I had whiskey and my last drink was one glass of red wine. After coming back around half an hour later I felt sick and I puked. Now my worry is my vomit was red colored like there were not red s...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The red vomit is likely due to red wine only. Alcohol causes gastritis and vomiting, and you likely vomited red wine out. I guess you did not have abdominal pain. The bloody vomitus is brown in color rather than red. Was the color of vomitus matching with wine, if ye...  Read Full »

Why do my face and eyes become red after alcohol intake?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some infection in my liver, which I got to know through LFT test. Also, I have been drinking alcohol since three to four years, but never encountered this problem. But now, I have developed alcohol intolerance. Even if I consume one peg now my face and eye reddens, and my heart...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). First, the liver function tests are not much abnormal and dos not seem to happen due to alcohol intake. However, your weight may be the cause of that much deranged liver function tests. Ove...  Read Full »

Is Naltima 50 mg used in the treatment of alcohol addiction?

Query: My relative is addicted to alcohol. Its not that he/she is consuming it regularly, but intends to do so. i intend to make him/her leave it. Can i give him/her Naltima 50 mg dissolved in juice and for how many days in order to make him quit it completely. he has been drinking for the past 8-10 year...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: thank you for taking help from a paychiatrist. I can understand your concern about your relative. But I am sorry to say that there is no medication which can help the patient to quit alcohol without patient involvement. when the person itself ready to quit alcohol then and only medication will help ...  Read Full »

I consume a lot of alcohol and I want to overcome this. What should be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old married female. I have been suffering from anger and anxiety issues since last one year. I also did online counseling which benefitted me a lot. Now my anger and anxiety are under control. But during the time when my problem was at its peak, I developed a liking f...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashanth

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query and appreciate you for realizing the problem and being motivated to quit. Counseling will help you along with the following. Relaxation exercise. When the temptation is at peak, drink juice or water full stomach. Divert your mind to other act...  Read Full »