Q. My husband is abusive and addicted to alcohol. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2021

Hi doctor,

I have been married for eight years, it was a love marriage, and things were fine initially. Three years back, my husband left his job to pursue his passion for becoming an entrepreneur, and I supported him in whichever way I could, both mentally and financially. But, things did not go as per the plan. He has always been a very confident person, who has always thought high of himself. So, because of all this, his weekly drinking habit got converted to daily drinking. It has been three years since we had any sexual relationship. When I try to confront him, it only ends up in an argument, and he tries to pull me down mentally. Things took an uglier turn when he verbally abused me, and I had to leave the room to protect me and my kid. He keeps abusing me mentally in front of our 5 year old son. It is very disturbing to see our kid being raised up like this. It has become a routine for my husband, although lately, he has become very sensitive about me. I told my father about this, and he asked me to come back home. My mother is suffering from blood cancer, and she will live only for 2 to 3 years more. She does not know about all this, if I leave everything today, I may loose my mother way too early. She will not be able to bear it. I am so mentally sick and irritated, and I do not know wat to do. My husband says that things will change. Is it advisable to forget everything and start fresh? My mind is saying no, but I cannot disturb my parents anymore. Please help.



Welcome to

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

  • First of all, I am totally against any form of abuse, so do not endorse any idea of suffering with your current husband. There is a definite need to seek advice if things are not working despite making compromises at your end.
  • Second, I feel there is an immense need to see a marriage counselor, as it becomes a heavy task to bring up children without spousal support.
  • Third, most important thing is to get him treated for alcohol addiction. As per my opinion, treating him for alcohol may solve some of your problems in the marriage.

I hope this helps you. If you have more questions, feel free to write back to me. Thanks and regards.

For further queries consult a psychologist counsellor online -->

Hi doctor,

Thanks for the response. I do not want any form of support from my husband's side, as I am sure I can take good care of my kid on my own. He does not think he is addicted to alcohol, he thinks his behavior is justified, even though it is not normal for me. Because he abuses me not only in the house but in public also. Taking him to any form of counseling is just impossible, he has a very different idea of psychology or psychiatry. I have confronted him on this front as well. For me to take a decision to go ahead with this marriage or separate is the hardest one, he will not change, even if he does, it will be a very temporary change. Should I think about my mother and stay back or should I move ahead? I have the full support of my family, they will always support me. Kindly suggest.



Welcome back to

Thanks for reverting.

  • Regarding addiction, I have a different opinion than your husband. I mean to say that increasing abuse of alcohol (weekly to daily), use of language which is unparliamentary, and manhandling the spouse at home and other places clearly indicate that he no more understands what he is doing and calling it alcohol addiction will not be wrong.
  • Regarding change, I have again different opinion. In my opinion, people do change when they are confronted with reality. I understand he does not understand psychiatry and psychology, but having few more attempts is warranted before calling it off.
  • Regarding the health of your mother, I think she should feel proud for having a courageous daughter who can deal with things despite the adversity in marriage. I understand that you do not want to be the reason for her stress, but I do not think it can cause shortening of her life. There are many myths in our society that particular news killed a particular person, but in most instances, it is just news rather than a fact.
  • I mean to say that, inform your mother gradually. I am sure she will be fine with your decision to move out from an abusive marriage.

I hope this helps you further. Thanks and regards.

For further queries consult a psychologist counsellor online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How to get rid of teacher's nodules?

I suggest tablet Pantop 40 mg (Pantoprazole) daily in empty stomach and do steam inhalation twice a day for two weeks ...   Read full

How to get someone to stop taking alcohol forever?

.. the alcohol, firstly you need to take him to nearby deaddiction center. You need to talk to him regarding the harmful consequences like liver damage which has now begun. You need to take him into confidence and take him to deaddiction center. Ther...   Read full

My brother's illness bothers me a lot. I am deprived of sleep. Please help.

Hello doctor, My wife is 20 weeks pregnant, and we got an ultrasound done. The report shows a small myoma measuring 49x26 mm in the anterior wall of the uterus. Can you please see the attached report and evaluate her problem to me? What to do next? A...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.