Q. I have atopic asthma associated with breathing difficulty and wheezing. Should I use an inhaler?

Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Infanteena Marily

I am a 41-year-old, and I live in a European nation. In my childhood, I had atopic asthma, which was treated with tablet Zaditen. I had a difficult time breathing this week with clearly heard wheezing, especially at night. We had lots of pollen last week here. The shortness of breath woke me up for two nights, significantly when the weather rose above 300c. I had no inhalers, and I felt that I could not fill my lungs with air. Today, I feel better after eating lots of raw honey with lime and olive oil, and the pollen is beginning to disappear as the temperature is cooling down. When I take deep breaths, my lungs expand again, and I do not feel a tight grip on the center part of my lungs. I have a blocked nose with lots of mucus. I do not know the source of mucus because I have also quit smoking last month (I was smoking shisha once a day for four years and did not smoke before the age of 37). Should I still get an inhaler, and if so, what kind? Thank you.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from childhood bronchial asthma and now from allergic rhinitis.

Some triggering factors like pollen, dust, smoke, animal dander and climate changes can aggravate asthma. It is a seasonal attack. After passing the season, the asthmatic patient will feel better as the triggering factors have been subsided. Also, triggering factors may lead to allergies, allergic rhinitis, or pre asthmatic status.

Antihistamines like the tablet Zaditen that contains Ketotifen may help to control allergic status.

As you are currently using medications like tablet Zaditen, it cannot control your allergic rhinitis. So you can add some other medicines like long-acting histamine called tablet Fexofenadine instead of tablet Zaditen and leukotriene receptor antagonists like tablet Montelukast, etc. Again, you can add corticosteroids orally for few days if both tablet Fexofenadine and tablet Montelukast fail to control your symptoms.

According to the severity, you can use intra nasal corticosteroids too. Wearing a mask while going outside, avoiding triggering factors that can aggravate your allergic or asthma status, taking some medications will help you control your asthma status.

Take care. In case of any other query, ask me.

|