Q. I have red lines and soreness in my eyes, which are sticky with mucus. What could be the cause?

Dr. Arnab Pal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My eyes are red and have red lines for about four months. In the beginning, my eyes were sore when I moved them, and then gradually, the soreness disappeared. I also had a bit of mucus and sticky eyes in the morning. I have applied antibacterial ointments and eye drops, which did not help the redness. I also used steroid and antihistamines eye drops (Optilast), which also did not reduce the redness in my eyes. My eyes become much redder when I shower and water penetrates them. What could be the cause? Why is it red, and how can I treat it? Thank you. I appreciate your help.

#

Since you have already treated your eyes with multiple medications, I recommend sending me pictures of your eyes for the proper diagnosis and correct treatment. Let me have a look before starting any treatment. Thanks.

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

I have sent pictures of both of my eyes. Please tell me what you think about this.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com

I saw the images of your eyes (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The eyes look normal in the pictures as the red lines are the blood vessels. However, you might be suffering from what we call allergic conjunctivitis in which the redness increases after showers and also on too much exposure to the digital screen.

I advise you to try,

1) Eye drop Naphazoline 0.05% and Phenylephrine 0.1% combination one drops three times per day in both eyes for one month.

2) Eye drop Carboxymethyl cellulose one drop four times per day in both eyes for one month.

3) Eye Ointment Chloramphenicol and Hydrocortisone combination apply to both eyes once at bedtime for one month. I hope this will help you.

Thanks.

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

Does it have complications if not treated? Can it cause any problems? If not, is it fine to leave it as it is, and how long will it take to clear? It has already been four months.

#

It is a relatively benign and harmless condition seen in most individuals. There are no complications associated with it, barring occasional redness. You need not worry about it much, to be honest. Take care.

Thanks.

|