Q. I get continuous cough during certain periods with allergy to dust and smoke. Please help.

Dr. Sushma Shah

Every year during summer and winter, I face problems with continuous cough (irrespective of the type of food I consume). I am having an allergy to both dust and smoke. I got a lot of gas generation and irregular motion again irrespective of the food I take. I am a 51-year-old male with a family history of asthma. I am not under any medication.

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

Such type of cough is called allergic cough which occurs in a particular time. Gas formation is due to irregular bowel habits.

Advice:

Hot saline gargle before breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Stop fried things, it enhances the problem.

Are you hypertensive? Check out your blood pressure also.

Treatment:

Tablet Azithromycin 500 mg once every day for three to six days, Nexpro RD 200 mg one before breakfast and dinner, Esmoprezole plus sustained released Domperidon for three days one before breakfast for five days or whenever required.

For irregular bowel habits, take one bowl of salad in the morning and evening. Add curd in lunch. Take buttermilk in the afternoon it is very good for health.

Take husk Isabgol three teaspoons full at night with milk. It is a herbal remedy good for the intestine also. It forms a slimy layer and protects the mucosa of the intestine. You can take it in the morning also. Cough syrup again produces irregular bowel habit. Amrodil-plus one teaspoon full at night is sufficient.

| 

I would like to know the reasons for continuous generation of cough and control of the same, of course medicine, but what about the long term solution? My blood pressure is normal and I do meditation, light exercise, etc almost regularly. In terms of food and lifestyle, what you would advise me to follow?

In the day and in the mid night, I continuously get irritated at my throat leading to cough any remedial measure besides medicine? Should I take a specific vaccine?

My son aged 19yrs is also found getting khasi continuously. Any remedial measure like vaccine for pneumonia or else.

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

The thing is that it is allergic cough. There is no permanent cure. When it is normal do gargle, when it is severe take treatment. It is the same for all the persons. No vaccination is available for this.

Take certain measures like avoid fried things, ghee, sweets, coconut with dry fruits, etc. Take a piece of muleti in the mouth as it acts as a mucolytic agent. Take tablet Montair-LC (Montelukast sodium and Levocetirizine) which will give you instant relief.

| 

What are the side effects of taking levofloxacin and azithromycin tablets?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19 year old male and I weigh 46 kg. Over the last seven months, I am suffering from fever along with chest and back pain. I also have body ache and little blocked nose but not runny nose. The mucus keeps coming out from my mouth. I have headache and I feel very tired. My stool is ...  Read Full »

I have a dry cough which gets worse at night. Please suggest a cure.

Query: Hi doctor,I am 10 weeks pregnant and have developed a chesty dry cough. It is particularly bad when I lie down to sleep at night. Is there anything I can do to get rid of it?  Read Full »

Azithromycin Dose for a child during fever

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 6-year-old son and he weighs 18 kg. He has a tonsils infection. He has a high fever and I am giving him Meftal P every eight hours and Paracetamol three times daily after food as per prescription. Also, the doctor prescribed Azithromycin 200 mg syrup for him. But, from the me...  Read Full »