Q. Is Momeflo nasal syrup effective for cough and runny nose that aggravates during nighttime?

Dr. Rakesh Radheshyam Gupta

My son has been suffering from cough, running nose, and watery eyes at night for the past one week, which aggravates after midnight. In the morning, after he gets up, he has only a runny nose. Last year he had the same problem, and he was on Momeflo spray for three months.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern.

A proper assessment can be done if you share the following information; Does he have a fever? What medicines are you giving now? Is he active? Is he having a dry cough or wet cough? Kindly reply.

Thanks for the reply.

He does not have a fever. I usually give him Montek LC kid syrup (Levocetirizine and Montelukast) 5 ml at night if required. He usually coughs with a hollow sound. This cough comes only after midnight (early morning), along with a moist nose and watery eyes. His activity is normal. He plays with children from afternoon till evening. He is very active, and he usually goes cycling. His weight is 30 kg.

#

As there is no breathlessness, this could be an allergic cough. I suggest,

a) Momeflo (Mometasone) nasal spray.

b) Cetrizine 5 ml once a day for five days at night.

c) Nasomist (Sodium Chloride) saline drops, two drops in each nostril for five days.

d) Honey one teaspoon daily at night.

e) Give steam inhalation.

I had given Momeflo nasal spray last year. Now can I give Cetirizine syrup, Momeflo nasal spray, and Nasomist nasal drops all together for five days?

#

Momeflo nasal spray is for allergic colds. I suggest continuing it for one to three months as per the doctor's recommendation. Avoid allergens, for example, pollen, dust, cold air, etc.

Our previous pediatric doctor recommended, Momeflo nasal spray nine months back for my son. The doctor told him to take it for six months, but we stopped giving him after three months, as he became normal. What is your recommendation for Momeflo? For how many months can we continue? My father-in-law is staying with us for the past two months; he has some lung problems (fibrosis), he is under medication as per his pulmonologist's recommendation. Is there any chance of allergy due to him?

#

Allery can be genetic. It is not like an infection that spreads from one person to another. We recommend Momeflo nasal spray depending upon patients symptoms. Usually, during the winter months, it is recommended for three months or more. I suggest stopping it during summertime and observing your child for recurrent cold symptoms. Many children have allergies till 12 years of age and become better after that. I suggest to observe him and give him a flu vaccine.

Thanks for the reply.

I will give him flu vaccine after five days.

#

You are welcome. Take care.

We have given him the flu vaccine. We are not giving him Momeflo nasal spray. Due to the weather, he has a nighttime cough. He gets a cough only at night, and he is not able to sleep. It is dry cough first and then wet cough. We have given him medicines. But still, he has a cough at night. He is completely alright in the morning but with a running nose.

#

Allergy can cause nasal as well as lung symptoms. Does he have fast breathing or any fever? Coughing more at night could be a symptom of asthma. Kindly reply.

He does not have a breathing problem or fever.

#

This could be an allergic cough, and it may need antiallergic tablets. If he is having breathless, he may need nebulization. I suggest seeing a doctor for a checkup. You can give one teaspoon of honey daily at night. Also, avoid cold air, dust, etc.

I gave him cetirizine and Momeflo nasal spray. He sleeps well without a cough.

#

I suggest giving him cetirizine once at night for five days. It is an antiallergic medicine. Momeflo nasal spray needs to be given for a long time for the prevention of allergic rhinitis.

I want to share some more information. My son was admitted to the hospital four times between two months to two and half years of age for the wheezing problem. After that, he was on Budecort inhaler on and off for five years. After that, he was completely normal. My father-in-law is having fibrosis and uses Nebzmart, Flohale, Budecort nebulization twice a day. He will always be coughing day and night. Last year when he stayed with us for five months, my son had a cold and nose block during those five months and was diagnosed with allergic rhinitis. After my father-in-law went to stay with his other daughter, my son became completely alright within a week. When he came back, my son again had a cold, nose block, and cough. Due to this, we are sending him this weekend for our son's safety.

#

Any person with a cold or cough can transmit to others if it is viral. Also, this could be a coincidence, as now the cold season has started, and people are getting allergies.

|