Q. My son suffers from allergy cough and vomit. What is the permanent cure for his problem?

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
Published on Oct 23, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2019

My son, aged 15 years, is suffering from allergy since his childhood.

He will have cough and vomiting whenever it is attacked, mostly in the winter.

We use Asthalin, Sereflo, and sometimes with nebulization, he will be fine for some days.

Please advise a permanent cure for his problem.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

From the medication you have detailed, he is being treated for asthma.

Any positive family history?

Does he have chest tightness or shortness of breath or wheezing during the episode?

Any seasonal variation or exacerbation in winters?

Asthma is due to hyper airway responsiveness to air borne allergens.

Treatment includes:

prevention of the episodes and management of acute asthma. Identifying and avoiding the allergen remains the mainstay.

Inhaled corticosteroids control the hyper airway responsiveness and control the occurrence of episodes.

Asthalin and nebulization remain the treatment for acute episodes. As I have told you, for any allergic diseases, avoidance of the merger is what should be done and followed. You may go to an allergic specialist to help you in identifying the allergens.

Can allergic asthma turn into permanent asthma?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 29 years old now. I have allergic asthma for last 6 to 7 years but in very mild form (mild suffocation and coughing for 2 to 3 days, once in three months). It used to get triggered by an old house (old book or newspaper dust) or distemper and paints or orange flavored drinks. But s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kartik Sood
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your symptoms, you are suffering from bronchial asthma with allergic rhinitis, but you need to confirm this by doing a spirometry with reversibility test. Asthma is a disease related to hypersensitivity of our respiratory system to some allergens which cause tri...  Read Full

Please suggest an alternate tablet for Montair LC.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 53 year old male. I have breathing problem for the past eight to 10 years. I develop breathing difficulty during the humid or warm seasons like July to September, for which I take Montair LC once every two days at night-time. Sometimes, if I forget and I experience breathlessnes...  Read Full >>

Dr. Suneel Mukati
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your history suggests that you have seasonal bronchial asthma. For confirmation, get the chest X-ray and spirometry done. An Asthalin inhaler alone will not be helpful. I suggest you take Fluticasone, alone or in combination with Formoterol (Formoflo 250). A...  Read Full

My asthmatic mother's X-ray is negative for TB. What else this could be?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has asthma as she used to smoke and live near roads. Her X-ray showed that trachea is in the midline, the cardiac shadow is not enlarged, pulmonary vasculatures are not prominent, hemidiaphragm is flattened, costophrenic sulci are blunted, right lower lung infiltrates presen...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have checked the attached report, along with the data you provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your mother has COPD which is a chronic obstructive lung disease due to changes in the lung with age and due to smoking. In COPD the air is entrapped ins...  Read Full