Q. Why does my son get cough often?

Dr. Payas Joshi

This is about my son who is 3.5 years old. He started having an allergic cough before seven months. The frequency was once in a month. The doctor said he is allergic to dust and humid weather and prescribed Romilast. He was fine. But, from the 1st of last month, he is having the allergic cough once again. As previous times, I went to doctor and he prescribed combination of Romilast, XL90 and Azithral. But, he is still having cough, though it is less and a very few times in a day. A few things for which I want to consult with you are his cough is not completely going away. He has lost 1.5 kg weight and he does not eat as previous and seriously look so lean. He weighed 14.5 kg last month. Though he is suffering from cough and cold and not eating properly, but still he is active. He goes to school every day. We have noticed, if he sweats heavily or goes through dust within a day he will start sneezing and then coughing. Please help us.

Do you have a question on Allergic Cough or Asthma?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Payas Joshi

MBBS., MD PEDIATRICS
Child Health Paediatrics

I understand your concern for your child.

• Most probably this is allergic cough only, which is most common in kids these days. It is really great that you at least know that dust is the culprit. Many parents cannot even trace out the allergy causing thing in their child.
  • My first advice is to avoid allergen exposure. Use mask outside and avoid dust by keeping home dust-free. Old dust at home causes much more problem due to dust mites in it, which cause allergy.
  • For these episodes Romilast (Montelukast), Ascoril (Terbutaline), etc., you are already taking and these are only required. At times it may take long time to resolve. But, if only a mild cough for a few times a day as you said, then there is no need to worry much.
  • But, my concern is not gaining weight and we need to investigate. Have you ever gone for any investigation?
  • Please let me know the following details. For how long he is losing weight? Is there any history of chronic cough in family or neighborhood like tuberculosis?

1. Complete blood count.
2. Absolute eosinophil count.
3. Chest x-ray.
4. Mantoux test.

I suggest tablet Zentel (Albendazole) only today before sleeping. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Revert back with the reports to a paediatrician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

I am really worried about my kid's health. He lost 1.5 kg since one month. There is no history of chronic cough in my family or neighborhood. My husband and my brother-in-law had childhood asthma till they were 6 to 7 years old. Though I do not know whether this will be useful information for you, but still I am pointing out some information. I am not sure whether the childhood health is hereditary, but as per my mother-in-law, my husband had the same body structure in childhood. I will take him for the tests as soon as possible.

Dr. Payas Joshi

MBBS., MD PEDIATRICS
Child Health Paediatrics

• Fine, it means the allergy in the family called atopy in medical science. This further goes in favor of allergy only.
  • Asthma is also an allergic condition with symptoms like difficulty in breathing, chest tightness and cough.
  • I would ask you to improve his nutrition. Give him a good amount of protein in the diet as our diet is usually less in proteins.
  • Please do not worry, if he is active and otherwise well.
  • I believe nothing else than allergic cough would come and which just like his dad would go away. Also, keep a track of his weight and height.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

I always have a stuffy nose causing brief dizzy spells. How can I stop it?
Query: Hello doctor, I have a continuous stuffy nose which gives me brief dizzy spells that go once I try to blow my nose (not hard). It just helps equalize pressure. My glucose, BP, heart tests are normal. I eat and drink regularly. I work in a dusty environment. The dizziness is definitely associated wi...  Read Full »
Dr. Bindia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Either a dust allergy or infection is causing you an allergic rhinitis. You will need X-ray PNS (Water's view) and CT PNS for a confirmation. I suggest taking: Tablet Azee 500 mg (Azithromycin) BD for five days. Tablet Montair LC (Montelukast and Levocetirizine...  Read Full »

My 6 year old daughter is very weak and refuses to eat. Can I give her Albendazole?
Query: Hi doctor,I have two kids, an 11 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. They both frequently complain about pain in their legs, which gets very severe many times and settles on giving them Paracetamol. I feel my daughter is very weak physically, and she refuses to eat everything except junk food...  Read Full »
Dr. Preeti Puranik
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding the leg pain, it can be due to the growth of the bones and muscles in children. These generally settle down with time. Other reason can be vitamin D3 deficiency. So, consult a pediatrician for a check up. Any local cause can be identified after examining. The ...  Read Full »

Is there any permanent solution for wheezing and dust allergy?
Query: Hello Doctor, I am 31 years old.  I have a history of eosinophilia and dust allergy since the age of 12 years.  The onset of eosinophilia and dust allergy has become more frequent since I moved to Bangalore (5-6 years).  Sometimes I suffer wheezing, running nose and watery eyes.  Since, last two...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to say that bronchial asthma or allergic bronchitis is just controllable and not completely curable. Following are the answers for your questions: 1. You should avoid Glemont-F. Reserve it only for acute exacerbations. Try to control your problem with inhale...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now