Q. I get throat soreness and irritation when I am exposed to exhaust gases. What might it be?

Dr. Vinay S Bhat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I have this sore throat like thing in my throat for the past 10 months. It is painless, remains the same, without any change, but bothering me a lot. I also have no problem with swallowing or breathing. I am 18 years old. I do have smoked, but I do not have a habit of smoking. The throat gets irritated when I am in traffic or exposed to those exhaust gases. What might it be? I have attached a photo.

#

The photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of the throat you have sent does not show anything significantly abnormal. There are normal-sized tonsils, and there are some lymphatic tissue swellings in the pharynx, which are expected in people living in cities with pollution. Your symptoms can occur in mainly two conditions. One is allergic pharyngitis, which is an allergy of the throat, and the next is a condition known as reflux laryngopharyngitis, which is a type of acidity related disorder. Generally, they are treated together as it is difficult to distinguish between the two. It would help if you start capsule Nexpro RD 40 mg (Domperidone and Esomeprazole) two times daily before food for two weeks and tablet Montair-LC (Montelukast and Levocetirizine) once daily after food in the night for two weeks. Avoid salt water gargling, tea, chocolate, aerated beverages, and spicy food for two weeks. Drink warm water and do steam inhalation two times daily.

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

I thought it was something serious because it is already there for ten months.

#

These conditions are always chronic. The photo that you have sent shows typical throat structures. I do not think there is anything to worry about. But if there is no improvement with treatment, then further tests such as endoscopy are required.

| 

I have sore throat with difficulty in swallowing and bleeding in tonsils. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a sore throat since this Wednesday. My dad is a doctor and he gave me Augmentin every 12 hours. The pain has not gone yet, but I feel like an object anytime I swallow. It hurts and it feels dry and sore. Just on the left side, it is been a few days but nothing new yet. It hurts...  Read Full »

Why do I have excess mucus in throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 49 year old male. I have a constant problem of excess mucus in throat. I feel as my food pipe is inflamed. I cannot eat anything. Whenever I eat something this mucus problem gets aggravated. What disease is this? And how to get it treated? Thank you.  Read Full »

Is there anything I can do to help ease my sore throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a sore throat for eight days. I have tried over the counter throat drops, throat sprays but nothing has worked. Is there anything else I can do and is it just a sore throat?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»