Q. I frequently have cold-like symptoms which are gone the next day. What is going on?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

I am a 17 year old male. I have been having some problems, like:

• sore throat
  • nasal congestion
  • pain in muscles
  • clicking joints

The problem is today I could feel sick like I have a cold and tomorrow I can feel normal like nothing happened. All the symptoms go away within a day and come within a day. I also get this tired feeling and sore throat (post nasal drip). I thought it was allergies but now I am not sure what is going on. This has been going on for three weeks on and off. It started after I choked on some water pretty bad. It might be all in my head. I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder about a year ago.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

From your symptoms, it seems like you suffer from post nasal drip frequently. It is commonly associated with sore throat and sinus congestion. When it occurs along with the symptoms you mentioned, it frequently points to allergies. For instance, recurrent exposure to dust mites.

Attacks of allergic rhinosinusitis may be accompanied by flu-like symptoms even body aches. And, they frequently clear up in a day or two.

Your case seems quite likely to be chronic rhinosinusitis due to allergies or frequent cold. Steam inhalation with menthol can help with the post nasal drip if you take it regularly.

Also, antihistamines or intranasal Budesonide spray may be helpful. However, you may need a doctor's prescription for that. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

You could take Paracetamol for the muscle ache, in recommended doses.

Hope you feel better soon.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

How to cure chronic post-nasal drip and change of voice?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 19 years old. I have been living with persistent allergies in my whole life. I have chronic post-nasal drip. I have lost my voice and get some sort of sore throat, whether that be laryngitis or strep throat. I had the same thing thrice in the past three months. This is especially dif...  Read Full »

Can continuous use of nasal spray cause sinus odor?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been dealing with a sinus odor problem for years. I am a fair online researcher and I have been shocked by how unique my problem seems to be. The odor varies in strength and seems to disappear and return over time. I have seen numerous ENT specialists over the years and with the ...  Read Full »

What is the reason for continuous post nasal drip and sore throat?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about my ears, nose, and throat. From last year, I am having a continuous post-nasal drip and a very sore throat. I tried taking over-the-counter antihistamines and mucus thinner, but they did not help. I also have clicking in my ear. My voice kind of muffles in my le...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now