Q. I had Levocet M for frequent cold problem. How long can I continue this medicine?

Dr. Sandhya
I always have problems with frequent cold. From lockdown time, I have been doing pranayama and had no problem. I used to have wheezing ocassionally but that is under control. From the past few months since the weather changed, I have been getting frequent colds. I have been taking Septillin syrup for nearly six months. It is not helping now. I tried Chyawanprash to improve immunity but it didn't help. I get nose blocks, and running nose early morning sometimes with sneezing. This problem keeps coming on and off. Doctor prescribed Levocet M. I took it first for 10 days. As long as I take the medicine i am fine. A few days after stopping the medicine again the symptoms starts. The doctor has asked to take again for ten more days. I have had a COVID test done and tested negative. Shall I continue Levocet M? How long can I take it without side effects. I once experienced severe heartburn at night after taking this medicine. Can you please suggest what I can do?
#

Hello, Welcome to icliniq.

As per the history you have provided, you are having Allergic Rhinitis. It usually affects people with previous underlying allergic problems and those with asthmatic history as well. For some people, it is triggered by atmospheric pollutants mostly unknown and would vary in intensity when you are are different places depending on the amount or type of atmospheric pollutants present. Most people experience nasal congestion, followed by paroxysms of cough in the morning.

As of now,

1. Kindly continue with Levocet M as it is very effective and can be used for long term.

2. You may start using Duonase nasal spray. Insert the nozzle deep into each nostril and tilt it towards the centre or septum of the nose on each side and spray twice on each side. Do this only at night. And continue doing it for the next 4 weeks.

3. Clean your room and house with a wet mop instead of dry brushing as the dust might linger in the air for a long time.

4. Avoid cold weather, cold food and drinks. Try to keep warm

Kindly follow the above advice and follow up after a month. Stay healthy, happy and safe.

| 

I took Flonase for hay fever and had chest tightness. Can I continue taking it?

Query: Hello doctor,I started taking Flonase at night for hay fever and when I wake up in the morning I am having wheezing and my chest is tight. I do not want to stop taking it because it is so helpful for my allergy symptoms but I am really worried about this side-effect. Current medications are Cymbalta...  Read Full »

What to do if I accidently got Fluticasone spray in the eyes?

Query: Hello doctor, I think my Flonase (Fluticasone) nasal spray bottle was empty which is actually was and I have no idea what suddenly changed. I started pumping it which I usually have to do when it is empty before I reached my nostril, and a puff sprayed into my left eye. As I heard the sound, I imme...  Read Full »

My 3.3 year old son has allergic rhinitis. Can I use Budecord inhaler?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 3.3 years old. Last year, he had three episodes of allergic rhinitis and one episode of allergic conjunctivitis. This year, our pediatrician asked us to get an allergy test done, and he put my son on Momeflo, Nukast 4, and Levolin inhaler. We found out that he is allergic to...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now