Q. I have cold for the third time in four months, which usually starts with runny nose. Please help.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 14, 2021 and last reviewed on: Mar 10, 2021

I have got cold because of the temperature changes at work. When it is so hot, we have all the fans and air conditioners on. And it is the third time already in four months. It starts with a runny nose for two days, and then I start coughing. Last time I had a temperature of 37.2.

And I have a little pain in my eyes and nose. And sometimes it is dry. After few days, phlegm comes out while coughing. It is thick and quite green in color. And the second time, it was only blood. But still thick. I am a bit worried. I am not a smoker. I do not have asthma or bronchitis. I only had sinus problems when I was a kid. What could it be?

KIND REGARDS.

#

Thanks for writing your query to me.

As you said you get frequent attacks of runny nose and now coughing suggest an allergic cause. So it can be asthma and allergic rhinitis due to dust allergy. Getting blood in sputum is common in allergic bronchitis. Spirometry test (PFT) should be done to confirm asthma. Also, skin prick allergy test or blood allergy test should give you the list of substances that you may be allergic to. So it is very important to find out the trigger factor for cold and cough. The next step is to avoid those triggers. Even if avoidance is not effective then nasal spray and inhaler treatment is best for management of allergic cold and asthma. A pulmonologist will help you find out the the exact diagnosis and treatment. I hope you understand the situation now. Do not hesitate to contact me again if you have any doubts.

Allergy.

Allergy test and spirometry.

According to the test reports.

Avoid known allergy trigger.

|